Fonte goal keeps Saints bandwagon rolling

Jose Fonte celebrates his goal

Jose Fonte celebrates his goal

First published in Football
Last updated

Jose Fonte's second-half strike saw Saints extend their unbeaten run to six Premier League matches at Hull and eight in all competitions.

Saints were good value for three points, maintaining a fierce tempo throughout at the KC Stadium and creating a host of fine chances.

Rickie Lambert and Jay Rodriguez were both in profligate mood, raising Hull's hopes of a battling draw, but Fonte settled things in the 69th minute when he stabbed over the line at the second attempt.

The Portuguese defender needed the Goal Decision System to claim the goal, with Lambert rifling home on the follow-up after Maynor Figueroa tried in vain to clear the danger. However, other replays later suggested Saints shouldn't been awarded the corner which led to the goal.

Lambert had earlier missed a pair of wonderful chances in the opening seven minutes, while Rodriguez struck the crossbar from 20 yards.

Hull were far from passengers in the contest, striking the woodwork first when Shane Long's header kissed the inside of the post, but they could not match Saints' energy around the park and tired visibly as the game progressed.

Having taken four points from Tottenham and Sunderland this month, their attempts to pull clear of the strugglers were duly stalled.

Related links

Adam Lallana wasted no time in carving out an early chance for Saints, exchanging passes with left-back Calum Chambers before clipping a cross from the byline.

Curtis Davies deflected into the ball into Lambert's path and he looked certain to score, only to shoot a yard wide from 12 yards.

With time and space, he should have done better.

That miss might still have been on his mind three minutes later when Steven Davis' precision pass presented an equally good chance.

 

Having timed his run to perfection Lambert took a slightly heavy first touch, allowing Steve Harper to close the angle and save with his legs.

In doing so the veteran keeper clashed with team-mate Paul McShane, with both men needing treatment before the latter was taken off on a stretcher.

Hull collected themselves in the break of play and, with no natural defender on the bench, sent on George Boyd in a revised 3-5-2 formation.

Basingstoke Gazette:

The change almost paid immediate dividends when Ahmed Elmohamady found Shane Long in the Southampton area in the 13th minute.

The Irishman leapt highest and was unlucky to see his header come back off the inside of the post.

Boyd was following up for the rebound but the ball would not settle for him and Artur Boruc was able to tip over comfortably.

Things continued at a lively pace and on the half-hour mark, Southampton again came close.

Hull failed to close down Rodriguez 20 yards from goal and he proceeded to lift a delicate shot out of Harper's reach but flush against the crossbar.

Saints were playing with considerably more craft than their hosts, but Jake Livermore's long-range strike and Nikica Jelavic's pick-pocketing of Fonte kept Hull in the argument.

Rodriguez almost nicked the opener in the final seconds of first-half injury time, but could not keep his far-post header down after good work by Lallana.

Hull were firmly on the back foot after the restart.

Basingstoke Gazette:

Rodriguez tried and failed to execute a bicycle kick at the far post, Luke Shaw breezed past David Meyler and Elmohamady in one swift movement and Lambert worked Harper having met Davis' deft pass.

But for all their superiority, Southampton were struggling to find a finish to match.

Hull were quickly settling into a siege mentality, though the decision to leave both Jelavic and Long up front did mean that the visitors could not afford to switch off at the back.

The home side's defence eventually buckled with 21 minutes remaining but not without a major fight.

Basingstoke Gazette:

Harper played his part, getting down well to keep out Fonte's headed effort and then recovering to make a point-blank block as Lallana attempted to bury the rebound.

The ball squirmed loose and returned to Fonte, whose side-footed effort crept over the line despite Figueroa's best efforts.

Basingstoke Gazette:

Goalline technology confirmed the ball had crossed but it would not have affected the scoreline, with Lambert netting unequivocally seconds later.

Either side might have scored in a frenetic closing period, but somehow the ball stayed out.

Shaw left Harper at full stretch with a skiddy effort that looked destined to creep in, and Jack Cork struck the outside of the post as Saints attempted to put the game to bed.

Jelavic or Sone Aluko's chances for Hull were less clear-cut but both gave the home fans cause for late excitement on an otherwise disappointing night.

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:26pm Tue 11 Feb 14

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...

Hard fought but great three points! Now for the cup. I expect a few changes but still a strong lineup. Maybe Clyne, Hoover, JWP, Wanyama and Sam to start?

And congratulations to Northampton and Bristol Rovers on their wins and Wycombe on a good point.
Hard fought but great three points! Now for the cup. I expect a few changes but still a strong lineup. Maybe Clyne, Hoover, JWP, Wanyama and Sam to start? And congratulations to Northampton and Bristol Rovers on their wins and Wycombe on a good point. Seedhouse the Unrepentant
  • Score: 6

10:31pm Tue 11 Feb 14

Clever Dick says...

4 wheels on our wagon
And we're still rolling along
We're flying up the Premier league
And we're singing a happy song.
4 wheels on our wagon And we're still rolling along We're flying up the Premier league And we're singing a happy song. Clever Dick
  • Score: 3

10:35pm Tue 11 Feb 14

Norwegian Saint says...

John Prescott....
Tom Courtenay...
Omar Shariff...
Reece Shearsmith...
Maureen Lipman...
Dean (fat boy) Windyass...
Ian Carmichael...
Nick Barmby...
Roland Gift...
Rodney Marsh...
Roy North (Basil Brush)...
Stan Collymore...
John Alderton...
.........
.........
.........
Are you listening?...
........
.......
.......
Your boys took a hell of a beating......
Another HELLLLLLLLLL of a beating!!!!!
John Prescott.... Tom Courtenay... Omar Shariff... Reece Shearsmith... Maureen Lipman... Dean (fat boy) Windyass... Ian Carmichael... Nick Barmby... Roland Gift... Rodney Marsh... Roy North (Basil Brush)... Stan Collymore... John Alderton... ......... ......... ......... Are you listening?... ........ ....... ....... Your boys took a hell of a beating...... Another HELLLLLLLLLL of a beating!!!!! Norwegian Saint
  • Score: 5

10:42pm Tue 11 Feb 14

Positively4thStreet says...

A Hull City fan interviewed on BBC "Look North" just said "They were beaten by a better team..no complaints".Nice compliment for Saints.
A Hull City fan interviewed on BBC "Look North" just said "They were beaten by a better team..no complaints".Nice compliment for Saints. Positively4thStreet
  • Score: 16

10:49pm Tue 11 Feb 14

florida saint says...

great win saints, just watched live here in florida, hull barely got a kick in the second half, special mention to the loyal saints fans who travelled on a Tuesday night, not easy as I remember.now go and win the cup... u t s
great win saints, just watched live here in florida, hull barely got a kick in the second half, special mention to the loyal saints fans who travelled on a Tuesday night, not easy as I remember.now go and win the cup... u t s florida saint
  • Score: 14

10:49pm Tue 11 Feb 14

SPIKEISLANDTRADER says...

C O Y R , great team performance , excellent 3 pts next stop SUNDERLAND, we are on a ROLL
C O Y R , great team performance , excellent 3 pts next stop SUNDERLAND, we are on a ROLL SPIKEISLANDTRADER
  • Score: 7

10:57pm Tue 11 Feb 14

Puddletown Saint says...

Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
Hard fought but great three points! Now for the cup. I expect a few changes but still a strong lineup. Maybe Clyne, Hoover, JWP, Wanyama and Sam to start?

And congratulations to Northampton and Bristol Rovers on their wins and Wycombe on a good point.
Interesting thought Seed but if all are fit would start with the same 11. May be even have Dejan and Gaston back for the bench. Pretty sure Adam and the lads will be well up for Saturday. Can rest them for the Liverpool game in a few weeks lol.....
[quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: Hard fought but great three points! Now for the cup. I expect a few changes but still a strong lineup. Maybe Clyne, Hoover, JWP, Wanyama and Sam to start? And congratulations to Northampton and Bristol Rovers on their wins and Wycombe on a good point.[/p][/quote]Interesting thought Seed but if all are fit would start with the same 11. May be even have Dejan and Gaston back for the bench. Pretty sure Adam and the lads will be well up for Saturday. Can rest them for the Liverpool game in a few weeks lol..... Puddletown Saint
  • Score: 2

11:10pm Tue 11 Feb 14

Clever Dick says...

Puddletown Saint wrote:
Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
Hard fought but great three points! Now for the cup. I expect a few changes but still a strong lineup. Maybe Clyne, Hoover, JWP, Wanyama and Sam to start?

And congratulations to Northampton and Bristol Rovers on their wins and Wycombe on a good point.
Interesting thought Seed but if all are fit would start with the same 11. May be even have Dejan and Gaston back for the bench. Pretty sure Adam and the lads will be well up for Saturday. Can rest them for the Liverpool game in a few weeks lol.....
That Liverpool game will be another double for us.
[quote][p][bold]Puddletown Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: Hard fought but great three points! Now for the cup. I expect a few changes but still a strong lineup. Maybe Clyne, Hoover, JWP, Wanyama and Sam to start? And congratulations to Northampton and Bristol Rovers on their wins and Wycombe on a good point.[/p][/quote]Interesting thought Seed but if all are fit would start with the same 11. May be even have Dejan and Gaston back for the bench. Pretty sure Adam and the lads will be well up for Saturday. Can rest them for the Liverpool game in a few weeks lol.....[/p][/quote]That Liverpool game will be another double for us. Clever Dick
  • Score: 6

11:11pm Tue 11 Feb 14

BehindEnemyLines says...

Great three points today and a game that could so easily have slipped away after not taking early chances. Rickie had an off day today gave the ball away a lot and Jay did a lot of running but nothing really came off for him today. Victor has more chance of getting a game up front at the moment with Morgan, Davies and Corkie controlling the game well again...They won the game for us today.
Great three points today and a game that could so easily have slipped away after not taking early chances. Rickie had an off day today gave the ball away a lot and Jay did a lot of running but nothing really came off for him today. Victor has more chance of getting a game up front at the moment with Morgan, Davies and Corkie controlling the game well again...They won the game for us today. BehindEnemyLines
  • Score: 6

12:43am Wed 12 Feb 14

andoru says...

Lovely stuff. An ugly win on a mid-week evening in the north. You don't say no to those.

Incidentally, I happened to wake up and check the score in the night just as the goal came through on the BBC feed. Clearly my brain is connected to the goal-line technology.
Lovely stuff. An ugly win on a mid-week evening in the north. You don't say no to those. Incidentally, I happened to wake up and check the score in the night just as the goal came through on the BBC feed. Clearly my brain is connected to the goal-line technology. andoru
  • Score: 7

3:34am Wed 12 Feb 14

the south coast is ours says...

just got back from hull should of won by a canter but a game back in the old days we would of lost im 1 very happy saint
just got back from hull should of won by a canter but a game back in the old days we would of lost im 1 very happy saint the south coast is ours
  • Score: 14

6:23am Wed 12 Feb 14

mickey01 says...

lets hope we put out a strong team on saturday and we dont get a rrepeat of the last cup meeting earlier in the season
lets hope we put out a strong team on saturday and we dont get a rrepeat of the last cup meeting earlier in the season mickey01
  • Score: 2

7:57am Wed 12 Feb 14

warrens 76 says...

So happy we won but christ on a bike we should not be missing the chances after chances we created...

I cannot think of any other teams in any other season who were so far ahead of most competitors in style, ball retention and chances created who were not in the top 2..
So happy we won but christ on a bike we should not be missing the chances after chances we created... I cannot think of any other teams in any other season who were so far ahead of most competitors in style, ball retention and chances created who were not in the top 2.. warrens 76
  • Score: 4

8:27am Wed 12 Feb 14

J7junctionseven says...

warrens 76 wrote:
So happy we won but christ on a bike we should not be missing the chances after chances we created...

I cannot think of any other teams in any other season who were so far ahead of most competitors in style, ball retention and chances created who were not in the top 2..
Put it down to work in progress. I'm sure it will be sorted out next season with a few interesting additions. We may even give someone a good spanking before this season ends as at Fulham and against Hull at home.
Hopefully against wet spam and blunderland to start with!
COYR FOADP
[quote][p][bold]warrens 76[/bold] wrote: So happy we won but christ on a bike we should not be missing the chances after chances we created... I cannot think of any other teams in any other season who were so far ahead of most competitors in style, ball retention and chances created who were not in the top 2..[/p][/quote]Put it down to work in progress. I'm sure it will be sorted out next season with a few interesting additions. We may even give someone a good spanking before this season ends as at Fulham and against Hull at home. Hopefully against wet spam and blunderland to start with! COYR FOADP J7junctionseven
  • Score: 1

10:10am Wed 12 Feb 14

costa gaz says...

I know it's an old cliche, but we need a fox in the box.
Although we looked comfortable all over the pitch, at 1-0 it was still possible that Hull could pull one back.
The game should have been over after 20 mins, but we were made to sweat until the final whistle.
Still, a great away win and another 3 points.

Same starting 11 for Saturday please.....
I know it's an old cliche, but we need a fox in the box. Although we looked comfortable all over the pitch, at 1-0 it was still possible that Hull could pull one back. The game should have been over after 20 mins, but we were made to sweat until the final whistle. Still, a great away win and another 3 points. Same starting 11 for Saturday please..... costa gaz
  • Score: 3

11:22am Wed 12 Feb 14

Costa Baz says...

costa gaz wrote:
I know it's an old cliche, but we need a fox in the box.
Although we looked comfortable all over the pitch, at 1-0 it was still possible that Hull could pull one back.
The game should have been over after 20 mins, but we were made to sweat until the final whistle.
Still, a great away win and another 3 points.

Same starting 11 for Saturday please.....
Define "fox in the box".

If it's a player that lacks the all round ability to play our high pressing, possession retaining game, but can stick the odd chance away, then we had one of them in Billy Sharp.

What we need is for our current strikers to improve their strike rate. They are getting in the right positions, but, on too many occasions, they just lack a little composure or try to be too precise, with shot placement, and end up hitting the ball the wrong side of the post.
But they are getting better, as Lallana's and JRod's goal tallies prove.

If we are lacking anything, in the goals department, it's a regular scorer from midfield.
[quote][p][bold]costa gaz[/bold] wrote: I know it's an old cliche, but we need a fox in the box. Although we looked comfortable all over the pitch, at 1-0 it was still possible that Hull could pull one back. The game should have been over after 20 mins, but we were made to sweat until the final whistle. Still, a great away win and another 3 points. Same starting 11 for Saturday please.....[/p][/quote]Define "fox in the box". If it's a player that lacks the all round ability to play our high pressing, possession retaining game, but can stick the odd chance away, then we had one of them in Billy Sharp. What we need is for our current strikers to improve their strike rate. They are getting in the right positions, but, on too many occasions, they just lack a little composure or try to be too precise, with shot placement, and end up hitting the ball the wrong side of the post. But they are getting better, as Lallana's and JRod's goal tallies prove. If we are lacking anything, in the goals department, it's a regular scorer from midfield. Costa Baz
  • Score: 0

12:17pm Wed 12 Feb 14

costa gaz says...

Costa Baz wrote:
costa gaz wrote:
I know it's an old cliche, but we need a fox in the box.
Although we looked comfortable all over the pitch, at 1-0 it was still possible that Hull could pull one back.
The game should have been over after 20 mins, but we were made to sweat until the final whistle.
Still, a great away win and another 3 points.

Same starting 11 for Saturday please.....
Define "fox in the box".

If it's a player that lacks the all round ability to play our high pressing, possession retaining game, but can stick the odd chance away, then we had one of them in Billy Sharp.

What we need is for our current strikers to improve their strike rate. They are getting in the right positions, but, on too many occasions, they just lack a little composure or try to be too precise, with shot placement, and end up hitting the ball the wrong side of the post.
But they are getting better, as Lallana's and JRod's goal tallies prove.

If we are lacking anything, in the goals department, it's a regular scorer from midfield.
Baz, Billy Sharp is a fox in the box, but not nearly good enough for us atm.


For our current strikers to improve their goal rates is going to be difficult, one of them seem to be getting slower by the game and the other ones goal to chances ratio must make pretty dismal reading.
We make so many chances, but take very few. I reckon we create almost as many chances as Man City and Liverpool, but they have the quality to finish them off.
I know we cannot attract world class players to this club as our wage structure could not cope.
But I am sure there is a natural goalscorer out there somewhere who'd fit into our game and price bracket..... it's all we are missing right now.
[quote][p][bold]Costa Baz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]costa gaz[/bold] wrote: I know it's an old cliche, but we need a fox in the box. Although we looked comfortable all over the pitch, at 1-0 it was still possible that Hull could pull one back. The game should have been over after 20 mins, but we were made to sweat until the final whistle. Still, a great away win and another 3 points. Same starting 11 for Saturday please.....[/p][/quote]Define "fox in the box". If it's a player that lacks the all round ability to play our high pressing, possession retaining game, but can stick the odd chance away, then we had one of them in Billy Sharp. What we need is for our current strikers to improve their strike rate. They are getting in the right positions, but, on too many occasions, they just lack a little composure or try to be too precise, with shot placement, and end up hitting the ball the wrong side of the post. But they are getting better, as Lallana's and JRod's goal tallies prove. If we are lacking anything, in the goals department, it's a regular scorer from midfield.[/p][/quote]Baz, Billy Sharp is a fox in the box, but not nearly good enough for us atm. For our current strikers to improve their goal rates is going to be difficult, one of them seem to be getting slower by the game and the other ones goal to chances ratio must make pretty dismal reading. We make so many chances, but take very few. I reckon we create almost as many chances as Man City and Liverpool, but they have the quality to finish them off. I know we cannot attract world class players to this club as our wage structure could not cope. But I am sure there is a natural goalscorer out there somewhere who'd fit into our game and price bracket..... it's all we are missing right now. costa gaz
  • Score: 2

1:54pm Wed 12 Feb 14

Costa Baz says...

costa gaz wrote:
Costa Baz wrote:
costa gaz wrote:
I know it's an old cliche, but we need a fox in the box.
Although we looked comfortable all over the pitch, at 1-0 it was still possible that Hull could pull one back.
The game should have been over after 20 mins, but we were made to sweat until the final whistle.
Still, a great away win and another 3 points.

Same starting 11 for Saturday please.....
Define "fox in the box".

If it's a player that lacks the all round ability to play our high pressing, possession retaining game, but can stick the odd chance away, then we had one of them in Billy Sharp.

What we need is for our current strikers to improve their strike rate. They are getting in the right positions, but, on too many occasions, they just lack a little composure or try to be too precise, with shot placement, and end up hitting the ball the wrong side of the post.
But they are getting better, as Lallana's and JRod's goal tallies prove.

If we are lacking anything, in the goals department, it's a regular scorer from midfield.
Baz, Billy Sharp is a fox in the box, but not nearly good enough for us atm.


For our current strikers to improve their goal rates is going to be difficult, one of them seem to be getting slower by the game and the other ones goal to chances ratio must make pretty dismal reading.
We make so many chances, but take very few. I reckon we create almost as many chances as Man City and Liverpool, but they have the quality to finish them off.
I know we cannot attract world class players to this club as our wage structure could not cope.
But I am sure there is a natural goalscorer out there somewhere who'd fit into our game and price bracket..... it's all we are missing right now.
It's about getting the right balance, I guess.

Agree we can't afford the very best, but players like Mata, Hazard, Aguero or Suarez are as adept at scoring as they are at creating goals or being part of attacking build up play and are the "type" of player we need.

Maybe our scouting network has already identified the players we need, for next season, to increase competition for places.

Don't suppose you were in Guardarmar, 3 Sundays ago?
My wife spotted a car with a Saints sticker in the window!!!
[quote][p][bold]costa gaz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Costa Baz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]costa gaz[/bold] wrote: I know it's an old cliche, but we need a fox in the box. Although we looked comfortable all over the pitch, at 1-0 it was still possible that Hull could pull one back. The game should have been over after 20 mins, but we were made to sweat until the final whistle. Still, a great away win and another 3 points. Same starting 11 for Saturday please.....[/p][/quote]Define "fox in the box". If it's a player that lacks the all round ability to play our high pressing, possession retaining game, but can stick the odd chance away, then we had one of them in Billy Sharp. What we need is for our current strikers to improve their strike rate. They are getting in the right positions, but, on too many occasions, they just lack a little composure or try to be too precise, with shot placement, and end up hitting the ball the wrong side of the post. But they are getting better, as Lallana's and JRod's goal tallies prove. If we are lacking anything, in the goals department, it's a regular scorer from midfield.[/p][/quote]Baz, Billy Sharp is a fox in the box, but not nearly good enough for us atm. For our current strikers to improve their goal rates is going to be difficult, one of them seem to be getting slower by the game and the other ones goal to chances ratio must make pretty dismal reading. We make so many chances, but take very few. I reckon we create almost as many chances as Man City and Liverpool, but they have the quality to finish them off. I know we cannot attract world class players to this club as our wage structure could not cope. But I am sure there is a natural goalscorer out there somewhere who'd fit into our game and price bracket..... it's all we are missing right now.[/p][/quote]It's about getting the right balance, I guess. Agree we can't afford the very best, but players like Mata, Hazard, Aguero or Suarez are as adept at scoring as they are at creating goals or being part of attacking build up play and are the "type" of player we need. Maybe our scouting network has already identified the players we need, for next season, to increase competition for places. Don't suppose you were in Guardarmar, 3 Sundays ago? My wife spotted a car with a Saints sticker in the window!!! Costa Baz
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree