Ronald Koeman eyes wideman signing for Southampton

Ronald Koeman

Ronald Koeman

First published in Sport
Last updated
Basingstoke Gazette: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Sports Writer

Ronald Koeman is targeting the signing of another winger before the close of the transfer window.

The Saints boss was delighted with a week that saw the club bring in Fraser Forster, Shane Long and Florin Gardos.

Though that is most of the business now done after a turbulent summer at St Mary’s, Koeman is still eyeing another wide man to add to the squad before the window closes on September 1.

Koeman said: “I am very pleased because the club did everything to bring in good new players but we are still looking forward to bring one or two more in. The wing position we need one more and the club is still working on that and that’s OK.”

On Long he added: “It was very important because it’s a part of the ambition that we have as a club and we show in the last few weeks.

“We knew we left some good football players and we have brought in some new good players and that showed the ambition of the team.

“Shane Long is an important player of the team and we need that type of striker because we didn’t have that type of striker in our squad and we are very happy to sign him.”

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:07pm Fri 15 Aug 14

bathsaints says...

a wide man and another CB (vlaar) and I reckon we'll be more competitive than some of the pundits give us credit for
a wide man and another CB (vlaar) and I reckon we'll be more competitive than some of the pundits give us credit for bathsaints
  • Score: 45

4:07pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Alicesdad says...

Peter Kay is quite wide, but I bet he's never been picked up by the scouts.
Peter Kay is quite wide, but I bet he's never been picked up by the scouts. Alicesdad
  • Score: 18

4:14pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Epsom Saint says...

It's clear to me that Ron is assembling a squad that will give him options, and enable him to change formations and tactics when appropriate. A lot of people hought we lacked a plan B last season - I think we wil have it this season, and maybe a plan C too!
It's clear to me that Ron is assembling a squad that will give him options, and enable him to change formations and tactics when appropriate. A lot of people hought we lacked a plan B last season - I think we wil have it this season, and maybe a plan C too! Epsom Saint
  • Score: 62

4:22pm Fri 15 Aug 14

george chivers says...

Epsom Saint wrote:
It's clear to me that Ron is assembling a squad that will give him options, and enable him to change formations and tactics when appropriate. A lot of people hought we lacked a plan B last season - I think we wil have it this season, and maybe a plan C too!
I'm certainly in favour of that. An element of the unpredictable is essential.
[quote][p][bold]Epsom Saint[/bold] wrote: It's clear to me that Ron is assembling a squad that will give him options, and enable him to change formations and tactics when appropriate. A lot of people hought we lacked a plan B last season - I think we wil have it this season, and maybe a plan C too![/p][/quote]I'm certainly in favour of that. An element of the unpredictable is essential. george chivers
  • Score: 20

4:23pm Fri 15 Aug 14

NC Fan4Life says...

Not just a fast winger, we still need a top CB and Goalscorer urgently.

Come On Les keep on it.
Not just a fast winger, we still need a top CB and Goalscorer urgently. Come On Les keep on it. NC Fan4Life
  • Score: 7

4:26pm Fri 15 Aug 14

The Rise of The Foot Soldier. says...

bathsaints wrote:
a wide man and another CB (vlaar) and I reckon we'll be more competitive than some of the pundits give us credit for
I don't think we will get another CB - although it makes sense for cover and competition.

I think the club will go for Capt Jose and new signing CB.

Winger is a good idea for Options for Gaffer. Interest in Leeds Defender has cooled as Club will use within squad.- that would have been icing on cake. COYR+WS
[quote][p][bold]bathsaints[/bold] wrote: a wide man and another CB (vlaar) and I reckon we'll be more competitive than some of the pundits give us credit for[/p][/quote]I don't think we will get another CB - although it makes sense for cover and competition. I think the club will go for Capt Jose and new signing CB. Winger is a good idea for Options for Gaffer. Interest in Leeds Defender has cooled as Club will use within squad.- that would have been icing on cake. COYR+WS The Rise of The Foot Soldier.
  • Score: 4

4:27pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Buddy SFC says...

The journey goes on and on .............. More positivity out there I feel , Sunday will be tough but after that, let's grow game by game ........
The journey goes on and on .............. More positivity out there I feel , Sunday will be tough but after that, let's grow game by game ........ Buddy SFC
  • Score: 16

4:45pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Alicesdad says...

Ron, you walk on wate. I think you are the man who will bring trophies to our club.

As I said in an earlier thread, we will need to time to build rapport and confidence but I am convinced it will come. Then I reckon that all teams will dread having to play us.

I have a big breakfast bet on for the Liverpool match .. and with every passing minute I'm starting to feel like Im going to be eating for free on Monday morning.

Have agood weekend everybody.
Ron, you walk on wate. I think you are the man who will bring trophies to our club. As I said in an earlier thread, we will need to time to build rapport and confidence but I am convinced it will come. Then I reckon that all teams will dread having to play us. I have a big breakfast bet on for the Liverpool match .. and with every passing minute I'm starting to feel like Im going to be eating for free on Monday morning. Have agood weekend everybody. Alicesdad
  • Score: 26

5:08pm Fri 15 Aug 14

saint bartley says...

Still feel a top-class defender who can play RB or CB is a final priority for us and then the fans can perhaps relax a little with hope in their hearts for the coming season!
Still feel a top-class defender who can play RB or CB is a final priority for us and then the fans can perhaps relax a little with hope in their hearts for the coming season! saint bartley
  • Score: 7

5:36pm Fri 15 Aug 14

CB FRY LIVES says...

Saints of yore were renowned for their attacking wingers.Back in the 60's they didn't come any better than World Cup winner Terry Paine and John Sydenham.
One of the problems with M.Poxytino was that he didn't know how to utilise wingers into his system.. I think that Ronald Koeman will have more tricks up his sleeve than his poxy Argie one trick pony predecessor.
Come on you saints upwards and onwards.
Saints of yore were renowned for their attacking wingers.Back in the 60's they didn't come any better than World Cup winner Terry Paine and John Sydenham. One of the problems with M.Poxytino was that he didn't know how to utilise wingers into his system.. I think that Ronald Koeman will have more tricks up his sleeve than his poxy Argie one trick pony predecessor. Come on you saints upwards and onwards. CB FRY LIVES
  • Score: 17

5:38pm Fri 15 Aug 14

NC Fan4Life says...

The Rise of The Foot Soldier. wrote:
bathsaints wrote:
a wide man and another CB (vlaar) and I reckon we'll be more competitive than some of the pundits give us credit for
I don't think we will get another CB - although it makes sense for cover and competition.

I think the club will go for Capt Jose and new signing CB.

Winger is a good idea for Options for Gaffer. Interest in Leeds Defender has cooled as Club will use within squad.- that would have been icing on cake. COYR+WS
We were all saying that we needed a better CB to partner Lovren last season, that situation has not changed because Hoover will probably go & Yoshida will be 4th in line with Fonte, Gardos and one new one as the main three to cover injuries and suspensions etc.
These three would also give RonKo the option of playing just three at the back in a 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1 formation.

Ron Vlaar would be good but is getting older. Phillip Wollscheid, Rojo or van Dijk would be better.

The most successful teams are always built from the back but also need to score goals so a proven top Goalscorer is also urgently required, even if it is a loanee until J-Rod returns in January. What about Samual E'oto for one season ?

Still two weeks to get these players in. If we do get this quality then we really will be better than last season.

COYR&WS
[quote][p][bold]The Rise of The Foot Soldier.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bathsaints[/bold] wrote: a wide man and another CB (vlaar) and I reckon we'll be more competitive than some of the pundits give us credit for[/p][/quote]I don't think we will get another CB - although it makes sense for cover and competition. I think the club will go for Capt Jose and new signing CB. Winger is a good idea for Options for Gaffer. Interest in Leeds Defender has cooled as Club will use within squad.- that would have been icing on cake. COYR+WS[/p][/quote]We were all saying that we needed a better CB to partner Lovren last season, that situation has not changed because Hoover will probably go & Yoshida will be 4th in line with Fonte, Gardos and one new one as the main three to cover injuries and suspensions etc. These three would also give RonKo the option of playing just three at the back in a 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1 formation. Ron Vlaar would be good but is getting older. Phillip Wollscheid, Rojo or van Dijk would be better. The most successful teams are always built from the back but also need to score goals so a proven top Goalscorer is also urgently required, even if it is a loanee until J-Rod returns in January. What about Samual E'oto for one season ? Still two weeks to get these players in. If we do get this quality then we really will be better than last season. COYR&WS NC Fan4Life
  • Score: -1

5:46pm Fri 15 Aug 14

The Rise of The Foot Soldier. says...

NC Fan4Life wrote:
The Rise of The Foot Soldier. wrote:
bathsaints wrote:
a wide man and another CB (vlaar) and I reckon we'll be more competitive than some of the pundits give us credit for
I don't think we will get another CB - although it makes sense for cover and competition.

I think the club will go for Capt Jose and new signing CB.

Winger is a good idea for Options for Gaffer. Interest in Leeds Defender has cooled as Club will use within squad.- that would have been icing on cake. COYR+WS
We were all saying that we needed a better CB to partner Lovren last season, that situation has not changed because Hoover will probably go & Yoshida will be 4th in line with Fonte, Gardos and one new one as the main three to cover injuries and suspensions etc.
These three would also give RonKo the option of playing just three at the back in a 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1 formation.

Ron Vlaar would be good but is getting older. Phillip Wollscheid, Rojo or van Dijk would be better.

The most successful teams are always built from the back but also need to score goals so a proven top Goalscorer is also urgently required, even if it is a loanee until J-Rod returns in January. What about Samual E'oto for one season ?

Still two weeks to get these players in. If we do get this quality then we really will be better than last season.

COYR&WS
NOW that really does show AMBITION/ COYR+WS
[quote][p][bold]NC Fan4Life[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Rise of The Foot Soldier.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bathsaints[/bold] wrote: a wide man and another CB (vlaar) and I reckon we'll be more competitive than some of the pundits give us credit for[/p][/quote]I don't think we will get another CB - although it makes sense for cover and competition. I think the club will go for Capt Jose and new signing CB. Winger is a good idea for Options for Gaffer. Interest in Leeds Defender has cooled as Club will use within squad.- that would have been icing on cake. COYR+WS[/p][/quote]We were all saying that we needed a better CB to partner Lovren last season, that situation has not changed because Hoover will probably go & Yoshida will be 4th in line with Fonte, Gardos and one new one as the main three to cover injuries and suspensions etc. These three would also give RonKo the option of playing just three at the back in a 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1 formation. Ron Vlaar would be good but is getting older. Phillip Wollscheid, Rojo or van Dijk would be better. The most successful teams are always built from the back but also need to score goals so a proven top Goalscorer is also urgently required, even if it is a loanee until J-Rod returns in January. What about Samual E'oto for one season ? Still two weeks to get these players in. If we do get this quality then we really will be better than last season. COYR&WS[/p][/quote]NOW that really does show AMBITION/ COYR+WS The Rise of The Foot Soldier.
  • Score: 5

6:03pm Fri 15 Aug 14

SouthLondonSaint says...

Nathan redmond, if Long is worth 12 mill Redmond is worth more than the 3 we offered for him. Enough said.
Nathan redmond, if Long is worth 12 mill Redmond is worth more than the 3 we offered for him. Enough said. SouthLondonSaint
  • Score: 0

6:30pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Malcombe says...

Frustration, impatience, annoyance, hopeful, patience, certain amount of satisfaction and now mostly content is how the weeks have panned out for us all, I've watched and listened to all the interviews of the new signing and the one that stuck out most for me about how transfers can drag on is Florin Gardos, he said there were certain demands that even frustrated him, it wasn't him or Southampton it was his Club, I assume because it's a Club from Europe with a different Culture, they may not understand the British way of transfers and wanted to be sure for there perspective, the difference is how quick Shane Long's transfer was completed, Shane had not had time to get his teeth cleaned before the transfer was wrapped up, he indicated he was still in shock for the speed of the change.
It was also an education for me how Players are spotted by the Scouts but not known by Ronald Koeman, Ronald said as much in an interview this week that this is how it works, he tells Les Reed what type of Player he wants, Les has several good Players on a list picked out by the Scouts who have watched them and have them on Video's to back up there findings, Ronald scrutinises and then gives the decision, he pointed out how pleased he was with the Players who have come to the Club that he didn't have in his previous Squads and gave all the credit to the Chief Scout and his personnel, as Ronald said the Scouts can pick out an exceptional Player outside of Britain who are not known by any Premiership Club Manager and top European Clubs and Southampton get the first chance and this is how Gardos is now a Southampton Player, it is fascinating to learn how the Club operates the Scouting and why transfer are not easy especially when Passports and work permits have to be included.
I am sure like me all the Supporters are eager to see the names of the first Team for Sunday and will Morgan be on it, he's probably excepted he must stay after steely determination by Ronald to keep him at least for now, also although I do not care because he is Saints Player, do any of us really know where he would like to Play other than Southampton? After all the misery what we want and deserve from Sunday is for the new Manager and Team of Southampton FC to be the surprise Team of the Premiership to shut up Brendan Rogers who will never compliment another Team and stop the doom gloom and doubters that Southampton are already in free fall, I've never thought that the Team will be in the bottom four after a few games but in the top 8 so lets all be optimist and support our lovely Club and roll on Sunday. COYR
Frustration, impatience, annoyance, hopeful, patience, certain amount of satisfaction and now mostly content is how the weeks have panned out for us all, I've watched and listened to all the interviews of the new signing and the one that stuck out most for me about how transfers can drag on is Florin Gardos, he said there were certain demands that even frustrated him, it wasn't him or Southampton it was his Club, I assume because it's a Club from Europe with a different Culture, they may not understand the British way of transfers and wanted to be sure for there perspective, the difference is how quick Shane Long's transfer was completed, Shane had not had time to get his teeth cleaned before the transfer was wrapped up, he indicated he was still in shock for the speed of the change. It was also an education for me how Players are spotted by the Scouts but not known by Ronald Koeman, Ronald said as much in an interview this week that this is how it works, he tells Les Reed what type of Player he wants, Les has several good Players on a list picked out by the Scouts who have watched them and have them on Video's to back up there findings, Ronald scrutinises and then gives the decision, he pointed out how pleased he was with the Players who have come to the Club that he didn't have in his previous Squads and gave all the credit to the Chief Scout and his personnel, as Ronald said the Scouts can pick out an exceptional Player outside of Britain who are not known by any Premiership Club Manager and top European Clubs and Southampton get the first chance and this is how Gardos is now a Southampton Player, it is fascinating to learn how the Club operates the Scouting and why transfer are not easy especially when Passports and work permits have to be included. I am sure like me all the Supporters are eager to see the names of the first Team for Sunday and will Morgan be on it, he's probably excepted he must stay after steely determination by Ronald to keep him at least for now, also although I do not care because he is Saints Player, do any of us really know where he would like to Play other than Southampton? After all the misery what we want and deserve from Sunday is for the new Manager and Team of Southampton FC to be the surprise Team of the Premiership to shut up Brendan Rogers who will never compliment another Team and stop the doom gloom and doubters that Southampton are already in free fall, I've never thought that the Team will be in the bottom four after a few games but in the top 8 so lets all be optimist and support our lovely Club and roll on Sunday. COYR Malcombe
  • Score: 28

7:43pm Fri 15 Aug 14

iswhite10 says...

I love the way Ron talks, and acts.
I'm deeply reassured.
I can't wait for it all to start again!
COYR's
I love the way Ron talks, and acts. I'm deeply reassured. I can't wait for it all to start again! COYR's iswhite10
  • Score: 20

8:21pm Fri 15 Aug 14

bigfella777 says...

Van Gaal, Mourinho and Koeman were all together at the Nou Camp, this guy is the real deal, have faith.
Van Gaal, Mourinho and Koeman were all together at the Nou Camp, this guy is the real deal, have faith. bigfella777
  • Score: 22

9:36pm Fri 15 Aug 14

yellowcard says...

https://www.youtube.
com/watch?feature=pl
ayer_embedded&v=HPZh
CE2f2EI watch this one for the future
https://www.youtube. com/watch?feature=pl ayer_embedded&v=HPZh CE2f2EI watch this one for the future yellowcard
  • Score: 1

10:01pm Fri 15 Aug 14

florida saint says...

great to see the negetables have sfcuked off, only positive supporters please. the new era is coming together it may take time so all stay positive.
never forget where we were 5 yrs ago. effin love the saints. I will be watching live, here in kissimmee, and of course flying the saints flag. U T S.
great to see the negetables have sfcuked off, only positive supporters please. the new era is coming together it may take time so all stay positive. never forget where we were 5 yrs ago. effin love the saints. I will be watching live, here in kissimmee, and of course flying the saints flag. U T S. florida saint
  • Score: 11

10:05pm Fri 15 Aug 14

jls217 says...

yellowcard wrote:
https://www.youtube.

com/watch?feature=pl

ayer_embedded&v=
HPZh
CE2f2EI watch this one for the future
Wow! Sign the little bugger right now.
[quote][p][bold]yellowcard[/bold] wrote: https://www.youtube. com/watch?feature=pl ayer_embedded&v= HPZh CE2f2EI watch this one for the future[/p][/quote]Wow! Sign the little bugger right now. jls217
  • Score: 2

10:12pm Fri 15 Aug 14

yellowcard says...

jls217 wrote:
yellowcard wrote:
https://www.youtube.


com/watch?feature=pl


ayer_embedded&v=

HPZh
CE2f2EI watch this one for the future
Wow! Sign the little bugger right now.
My thoughts when i see it
[quote][p][bold]jls217[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yellowcard[/bold] wrote: https://www.youtube. com/watch?feature=pl ayer_embedded&v= HPZh CE2f2EI watch this one for the future[/p][/quote]Wow! Sign the little bugger right now.[/p][/quote]My thoughts when i see it yellowcard
  • Score: 2

4:46am Sat 16 Aug 14

Melbsaint says...

Vlaar bought and victor Moses on loan and we are ready.
Vlaar bought and victor Moses on loan and we are ready. Melbsaint
  • Score: 1

7:26am Sat 16 Aug 14

Blackknight says...

At least no - one can say this is not Koeman's team.

A winger with John Sydenham's pace and Terry Paine's ability to cross a ball (for those of us who remember them) is exactly what Saints need now and what was lacking under MoPo.

Only problem is where do Saints find one?
At least no - one can say this is not Koeman's team. A winger with John Sydenham's pace and Terry Paine's ability to cross a ball (for those of us who remember them) is exactly what Saints need now and what was lacking under MoPo. Only problem is where do Saints find one? Blackknight
  • Score: 2

11:13am Sat 16 Aug 14

hedge end bob says...

Blackknight wrote:
At least no - one can say this is not Koeman's team.

A winger with John Sydenham's pace and Terry Paine's ability to cross a ball (for those of us who remember them) is exactly what Saints need now and what was lacking under MoPo.

Only problem is where do Saints find one?
that is the million pound question.just imagine what two wingers like Terry and John with a big Ron would fair in todays game??
[quote][p][bold]Blackknight[/bold] wrote: At least no - one can say this is not Koeman's team. A winger with John Sydenham's pace and Terry Paine's ability to cross a ball (for those of us who remember them) is exactly what Saints need now and what was lacking under MoPo. Only problem is where do Saints find one?[/p][/quote]that is the million pound question.just imagine what two wingers like Terry and John with a big Ron would fair in todays game?? hedge end bob
  • Score: 1

1:24pm Sat 16 Aug 14

yellowcard says...

The Rise of The Foot Soldier. wrote:
NC Fan4Life wrote:
The Rise of The Foot Soldier. wrote:
bathsaints wrote:
a wide man and another CB (vlaar) and I reckon we'll be more competitive than some of the pundits give us credit for
I don't think we will get another CB - although it makes sense for cover and competition.

I think the club will go for Capt Jose and new signing CB.

Winger is a good idea for Options for Gaffer. Interest in Leeds Defender has cooled as Club will use within squad.- that would have been icing on cake. COYR+WS
We were all saying that we needed a better CB to partner Lovren last season, that situation has not changed because Hoover will probably go & Yoshida will be 4th in line with Fonte, Gardos and one new one as the main three to cover injuries and suspensions etc.
These three would also give RonKo the option of playing just three at the back in a 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1 formation.

Ron Vlaar would be good but is getting older. Phillip Wollscheid, Rojo or van Dijk would be better.

The most successful teams are always built from the back but also need to score goals so a proven top Goalscorer is also urgently required, even if it is a loanee until J-Rod returns in January. What about Samual E'oto for one season ?

Still two weeks to get these players in. If we do get this quality then we really will be better than last season.

COYR&WS
NOW that really does show AMBITION/ COYR+WS
Most if not all the players you have mentioned you would like would have no intention of coming to Saints
[quote][p][bold]The Rise of The Foot Soldier.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NC Fan4Life[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Rise of The Foot Soldier.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bathsaints[/bold] wrote: a wide man and another CB (vlaar) and I reckon we'll be more competitive than some of the pundits give us credit for[/p][/quote]I don't think we will get another CB - although it makes sense for cover and competition. I think the club will go for Capt Jose and new signing CB. Winger is a good idea for Options for Gaffer. Interest in Leeds Defender has cooled as Club will use within squad.- that would have been icing on cake. COYR+WS[/p][/quote]We were all saying that we needed a better CB to partner Lovren last season, that situation has not changed because Hoover will probably go & Yoshida will be 4th in line with Fonte, Gardos and one new one as the main three to cover injuries and suspensions etc. These three would also give RonKo the option of playing just three at the back in a 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1 formation. Ron Vlaar would be good but is getting older. Phillip Wollscheid, Rojo or van Dijk would be better. The most successful teams are always built from the back but also need to score goals so a proven top Goalscorer is also urgently required, even if it is a loanee until J-Rod returns in January. What about Samual E'oto for one season ? Still two weeks to get these players in. If we do get this quality then we really will be better than last season. COYR&WS[/p][/quote]NOW that really does show AMBITION/ COYR+WS[/p][/quote]Most if not all the players you have mentioned you would like would have no intention of coming to Saints yellowcard
  • Score: 0

3:12pm Sat 16 Aug 14

Pooley says...

I don`t consider the Anfield match and the result a foregone conclusion at all. I think we we will give them real problems.
I don`t consider the Anfield match and the result a foregone conclusion at all. I think we we will give them real problems. Pooley
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree