When news happens, text BAZ and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Tobin disappointed by funding snub
ROBERT Tobin is facing another year without lottery funding after being left out of UK Athletics’ World Class Performance Programme for 2013.
The Old Basing sprinter, who was a member of the Great Britain 4x400m relay squad for the London Olympics, had his funding taken away at the end of last year.
The 2013 list was announced by UK Athletics on Monday and Tobin has missed out again, despite helping GB to a silver medal in the relay at the European Championships and performing well over the course of the year.
“It’s disappointing because when I look at the people who are on the list, I feel I should be on there,” he said. “I think I performed better than quite a lot of them last year.
“I believe I am capable of qualifying for the individual event at the World Championships in 2013. I was in personal best shape at the Olympics and it was just a shame that I did not get a chance to show how good my form was.”
The governing body’s criteria is partly based on athletes’ potential to medal at the 2016 Olympics and while Tobin, left, will be 32 by then, he does not see this as an obstacle.
“I believe I can still be competitive when the next Olympics come around,” he said. “Roger Black won a silver medal when he was 30 and Felix Sanchez was 34 when he won gold in the 400m hurdles this year. It can be done and I do not think age should come into it.
“I am going to appeal the decision but at the end of the day you are appealing to the same people, so I’m not sure how it will go.
“This year has ben a struggle financially so I will have to come up with some sort of plan. It will be hard to stay full-time on no funding so I will have to think about going part-time.”
Hook distance runner Charlie Purdue has retained her place on the Podium Potential World Class Performance Programme, with UK Athletics seeing her as a possible challenger at the 2020 Olympics.