CHRIS Dorling scored four tries as Basingstoke RFC’s Griffins put visiting Eastleigh II to the sword with a 50-6 victory last Saturday.

It was the visitors who took the lead with an early penalty, but ’Stoke hit back with a try from Number 8 Dorling.

Five minutes later, a finely executed backs move allowed Chris Fryer to break through the Eastleigh line, before a fine offload saw Dorling score again. Kurtis Eagle slotted over the conversion.

Another penalty for Eastleigh made it 12-6, before a great break from Griffin’s scrum-half Ben Hawkins allowed Jonah Wright to power in from 10 metres out.

Eagle again slotted over the extras to make it 19-6 at half-time.

Basingstoke maintained the pressure after the break, and it resulted in another score for Wright from fly-half Mikey Jacob’s offload.

From the re-start, Basing-stoke went searching for more points and from a scrum on the 22, they executed a fine set-piece move between Hawkins, Dorling and winger Kofi Butcher.

Butcher made a great run and then passed for Dorling to score his hat-trick try, which Eagle converted.

The home side then took advantage as their young visitors tired and captain Shaun Fennell ran in a great score after more excellent work from centre partner Fryer. Once again Eagle added the conversion.

Man-of-the-match Dorling added his fourth try of the game before the Basing-stoke backs, led by the excellent Hawkins and Jacob, were able to get the ball to winger Brent Evans to score their eighth and final try of the game.

Coach Steve Parker said: “I was delighted with the performance, as all of the lads were exceptional.

“Our forwards put in a massive shift, pressuring them all over the park, allowing Ben Hawkins and Mikey Jacob some good, clean ball, which was well used by our backs.”

The previous week, a storming second-half performance from the Griffins earned them a 31-8 victory over visiting Portsmouth IIs.

The home side ran in five unanswered tries after the break as winger Karl Hayward led the way with a hat-trick, supported by Fennell and Alan Crisford. Andy Barnes was successful with three of the conversions.

Sam Turner was ’Stoke’s man-of-the-match for an all-round display of guts and leadership.

On the same day, the fifths played away at Alresford and took the lead with a fine try from Mark Bushnell, which was quickly followed up by another from Brent Evans.

However, the home side won the game 15-10 thanks to three unconverted tries.

Coach Chris Hughes said: “I can’t complain about the result, we put in a good effort, but made some individual errors.”

The Dragons enjoyed a 78-0 victory over Trojans II last Saturday, and are away at Hertford this weekend.

The other three teams are all at home, with the Griffins set to entertain US Services II, the Cavaliers facing Portsmouth IV and the fifths doing battle with Fareham Heathens II.

This Saturday, the Dragons and Griffins are both at home, with Trojans and Eastleigh II the visitors.

The Cavaliers are on their travels to Market House Pirates, while the fifths have no game.