MATCH REPORT - Basingstoke RFC 31 Tonbridge Juddians 35

Basingstoke Gazette: Gavin Dampies on his way to two tries in the game Gavin Dampies on his way to two tries in the game

BASINGSTOKE RFC were narrowly beaten 35-31 by visiting Tonbridge Juddians on Saturday afternoon.

The home side got off to a good start, as great rush up field by Ryan Davis, forced a penalty and Adam Davies kicked over for the lead.

The Juddians hit straight back and levelled the score with their own penalty from the boot of Luke Makris.

With just 10 minutes gone, ’Stoke took the lead again, this time Davies using the wind advantage for a drop goal.

The next action saw the visitors make it 6-6 from a Makris’ penalty.

On 16 minutes, Basingstoke were the first team to go over the try line, as Davies’ kick along the line found Rudi Kochanowski out wide and he went over.

Davies missed the conversion, but ’Stoke still led 11-6, until an uncoverted try from Tom Noott tied the game again.

This was quickly followed by another unconverted score for the Juddians from Liam Rankin.

’Stoke hit straight back and Gavin Dampies flew round Noott to go over and Dave Byett, who had taken over kicking duties from the injured Davies, added the extras.

The home side further extended their lead, thanks to a great fly kick from Chris Kiernan, which was gathered by Tim Richards for another score and a half-time Basingstoke led 23-16.

The visitors were the first team on the scoreboard after the break, as Noott went over for his second try of the game, and this time Makris converted to level the scores again.

The home side replied as Byett kicked over a penalty and then a great move with the ball running along the line allowed Dampies to go in at the corner, which gave ’Stoke a 31-23 lead.

The Juddians went looking for a try, but the Basingstoke defence stood firm until five minutes from time when Liam Chennells forced his way in. Makris converted and the Kent side were now only one point behind.

The visitors then took the lead from a Matt Logan score, but when Makris conversion effort hit the wrong side of the post, ‘Stoke still had a chance if they could score a try.

The sizeable home crowd tried to rally their side for one last push, but they were unable to break the Juddians line and the Kent won the game. 


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree