Good day for Basingstoke teams in Hampshire Cups

Basingstoke Gazette: Good day for Basingstoke teams in Hampshire Cups Good day for Basingstoke teams in Hampshire Cups

A TOTAL of six Basingstoke and District Saturday League clubs secured their places in the last 16 of the Hampshire A Cup last weekend.

New Inn were 4-0 up at half-time in their game against visiting Newchurch, from the Isle of Wight. James Arris got the first two before setting up Lee Chambers to make it 3-0 after 20 minutes, with Luke Richardson getting the fourth.

Further goals from Chambers and Sean Searle after the break saw New Inn cruise through, winning 6-0.

Welly Old Boys went behind at home to Aldershot League club Wey Valley but goals from Sam Nicholls, Matt Button and Brian Cenci saw them through.

Basingstoke Royals beat Bournemouth side Westover 3-1. Ama Bhuller gave Royals a half-time lead and while the visitors levelled soon after the break, goals from Nick Willcock and Tom Smith put the home side into the next round.

Tadley Calleva A beat Compton Reserves 2-1 at Barlows Park. Kyle Theodore and Stephen Burgess had Tadley two up early in the second half, with Compton netting a late consolation.

Division One Bramley United travelled to Bournemouth to meet AFC Springbourne and came home with a 7-1 win. Stuart Leddy scored five and Ben Squibb the other two, while the hosts' lone goal came from a last-minute penalty.

Hook are also through after opponents South Wanston Swifts could not raise a team.

Overton United A were the one local team who failed to progress, losing 4-1 away at Isle of Wight side Seaview. Overton trailed 2-1 at the break, their goal coming when a home player put through his own net, but Seaview were too strong after the break.

A further three teams made it through to the quarter-finals of the Hampshire B Cup.

Overton United B survived a battling comeback from New Forest Reserves to emerge 4-3 winners in extra-time. Goals from Darren White, Serge Holland and Dan Hargood had visiting Overton three goals to the good but New Forest fought back to take the game to extra-time.

Ben Vine got what proved to be the winner early in the extra period, netting the rebound after James Vent's effort had been blocked on the line.

Another thrilling game saw Bengal Brasserie beat Aldershot League club Headley United 5-4.

Bengal went behind early on but Kyle Buckland's double had them 2-1 up. Hosts Headley levelled but Jimmy Buckland's strike meant Bengal led 3-2 at half-time.

Headley scored twice to lead 4-3 on the hour but Kyle Buckland completed his hat-trick to level the game and Mike Fuller came up with the decider.

DJS Telecoms won 5-1 away at Bishops Waltham Dynamos.

Lee Neal gave DJS an early lead and while the hosts levelled soon after, Neal's second had the visitors ahead at the break. Captain Paul Dolan was sent off for handball early in the second half but Dean Munkley saved the penalty and the 10 men scored three more afterwards, Nick Saunders scoring twice and Scott Hall getting the fifth.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree