Torture victim speaks about his life-scarring ordeal

Simon Christian with his dog Murphy

The burns on his back after boiling water was poured over him

The burns to Simon Christian's head

Keeley Brewer

Tamlyn Stanhope

First published in News by , Chief Reporter

IT WAS a night that has left him scarred for life.

As the shocking pictures on this page show, Simon Christian was left with horrific burns after he was attacked and tortured by two women and a teenage girl for 35 minutes.

Mr Christian has spoken to The Gazette about the ordeal after two of those responsible were locked up for causing him grievous bodily harm with intent.

The 29-year-old, from Tennyson Way, South Ham, Basingstoke, spent three weeks in the burns unit at Salisbury hospital following the incident on July 11 this year.

Mr Christian, a father-of-one, was beaten so badly that he cannot remember any of the attack in which he was kicked and stamped on while lying defenceless on the floor.

Winchester Crown Court heard how Keeley Brewer, Tamlyn Stanhope and a 15-year-old, who cannot be named because of her age, were heard laughing in a video of the attack, as they repeatedly poured boiling water over Mr Christian before pulling down his trousers and torturing him with a bottle, while he pleaded for them to stop.

Mr Christian said he had been good friends with Stanhope, and the pair had been out drinking together on July 11.

He said she invited him back to her home in Mauritius Close, Popley, Basingstoke, to continue drinking, but things turned nasty following an argument.

Mr Christian admits he often becomes obnoxious when drinking, but he denies claims made by the defendants that he provoked them in any other way. Brewer claimed he had pinned her down.

Mr Christian said: “They are trying to justify it. I’m not a violent person. I’m not big enough to be violent. Keeley is a big girl and especially in the state I was in, I wouldn’t have been able to pin her down.”

He believes the attack happened because too much alcohol had been consumed, with the gang egging each other on – unaware of the damage they were doing to him.

The attack ordeal began after Mr Christian returned to the house after being thrown out. He had left his house keys inside, but never believed he was in any danger by going back.

He said: “Me and Tamlyn had been friends for four years. We have had arguments before but nothing like this has happened. I wasn’t scared when I went back.”

After the attack, Mr Christian endured three agonising weeks in hospital, supported by his 20-year-old girlfriend Ellie Wilks. Miss Wilks said she could hear him screaming when his dressings were changed.

He said: “I have broken both my legs before and my back, and I would rather go through that again than being burned. It’s a whole different type of pain. The burns were a couple of centimetres away from my eyes and that was a scary thought.”

Despite the horrifying ordeal, and lasting effects of that painful night, incredibly, Mr Christian is not bitter towards Tamlyn Stanhope.

He said: “I hope she uses this time to get off alcohol. This is a real opportunity for her to get clean and be the mother that she can be.

“I think the drink was the reason she did it. She had been through a lot. A few weeks earlier, her dog had died, and she was burgled. Although what she did was horrible, I don’t wish her dead.”

Mr Christian, who will not be allowed out in the sun for two years because of the scarring, is now seeing a psychiatrist and is awaiting keyhole surgery on his wrist, which was broken during the attack.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree