North West Hampshire MP defends Basingstoke MP Maria Miller

Sir George Young, left, who was next to Basingstoke MP Maria Miller as she made her 32-second apology speech in the House of Commons on April 3

Sir George Young, left, who was next to Basingstoke MP Maria Miller as she made her 32-second apology speech in the House of Commons on April 3

First published in News
Last updated
Basingstoke Gazette: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

THE MP for North West Hampshire has backed Basingstoke MP Maria Miller following her resignation as Culture Secretary.

Mrs Miller resigned from her position as Culture Secretary on Wednesday following the controversy over the findings of, and her reaction to, a report by the Parliamentary Commissioner on Standards concerning her second home expenses claims.

In a letter of resignation to Prime Minister David Cameron, the Basingstoke MP said the controversy – which had rumbled on for a week after Mrs Miller made a terse 32-second apology in the House of Commons – “has become a distraction from the vital work this Government is doing”.

Her decision to step down followed mounting pressure for Mrs Miller to be sacked by Mr Cameron, or resign, after she was criticised for her attitude to the inquiry conducted by Parliamentary Commissioner Kathryn Hudson.

Although Mrs Miller was cleared of deliberately claiming incorrect second home expenses for her home in Wimbledon, where her parents also lived, the Parliamentary Standards Committee ordered her to repay £5,800 to cover the cost of her over-claiming mortgage payments after she failed to cut her claims as interest rates fell.

The Parliamentary Commissioner actually recommended that Mrs Miller should repay £45,800, but this was over-ruled by the Conservative-dominated committee.

Now, North West Hampshire MP Sir George Young, who is also the Government’s Chief Whip, has defended his former Cabinet colleague, and neighbouring MP, in a statement released today.

He said: “Since Maria was elected to the seat next to mine in 2005, I have seen what a popular and hard-working constituency MP she has been. “She has built up her majority, securing the votes not just of those who traditionally support our Party, but of many others because of what she has done for Basingstoke.

“I have seen her at meetings of Hampshire MP’s fighting for a square deal for the county – be it for health, local government or police – and readers of The Gazette will have read of her support for the schools and voluntary organisation in her constituency.

“Maria has had a tough time while the recent enquiry was going on, but as a fellow member of the Cabinet, I know this did not distract her from her duties to the country as a key member of the Government. She has the qualities to return to high office in due course, as the Prime Minister has indicated.”

He added: “As Chief Whip, I know she has been a loyal member of the Conservative Party in the House of Commons, playing her part in turning the country round and laying the foundation for a return to growth.

“Of course, the future of any MP rests in the hands of our voters. I will be urging Maria’s to support her, when we go to the polls in a year’s time.”

Do you think Mrs Miller should resign as Basingstoke MP? Follow the link below to vote in our readers poll.

http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/news/11135975.POLL___Should_Maria_Miller_resign_as_Basingstoke_s_MP_/?ref=mr&ref=mmpg

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:47pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Benefit Thief says...

This woman delivered most contemptuous non-apology in recent Commons history.
The Commons Standards Committee report is damming.
Take a look:-
http://www.publicati
ons.parliament.uk/pa
/cm201314/cmselect/c
mstandards/1179/1179
.pdf

We are still waiting for an explanation as to why her payback was reduced from £45,000 to £5,800.
The cosy little club in Westminster are yet to explain why!
This woman delivered most contemptuous non-apology in recent Commons history. The Commons Standards Committee report is damming. Take a look:- http://www.publicati ons.parliament.uk/pa /cm201314/cmselect/c mstandards/1179/1179 .pdf We are still waiting for an explanation as to why her payback was reduced from £45,000 to £5,800. The cosy little club in Westminster are yet to explain why! Benefit Thief
  • Score: 11

11:01pm Fri 11 Apr 14

EMW says...

Well he would wouldn't he?
Another one who just doesn't get it!
Well he would wouldn't he? Another one who just doesn't get it! EMW
  • Score: 11

2:23am Sat 12 Apr 14

George3 says...

Telegraph 22 May 2009: MPs expenses:
Sir George Young claimed the maximum second home allowance on his London flat for the past two years.

Partners in crime?

http://www.telegraph
.co.uk/news/newstopi
cs/mps-expenses/5364
194/MPs-expenses-Sir
-George-Young-claime
d-127000-on-London-f
lat.html
Telegraph 22 May 2009: MPs expenses: Sir George Young claimed the maximum second home allowance on his London flat for the past two years. Partners in crime? http://www.telegraph .co.uk/news/newstopi cs/mps-expenses/5364 194/MPs-expenses-Sir -George-Young-claime d-127000-on-London-f lat.html George3
  • Score: 8

6:24am Sat 12 Apr 14

deepinsight says...

Partners in Crime...
Partners in Crime... deepinsight
  • Score: 11

11:42am Sat 12 Apr 14

Upontheroof says...

Another fool who is showing that he just doesn't get why people are disgusted with Miller. Hopefully the real test will be when these idiots are left without a seat.
Another fool who is showing that he just doesn't get why people are disgusted with Miller. Hopefully the real test will be when these idiots are left without a seat. Upontheroof
  • Score: 9

12:47pm Sat 12 Apr 14

CineEngineer says...

So, Fred Karnos Army continues it's march onwards towards sticking two fingers up to the people of Basingstoke. These trough feeders and theives ( there is no other word as it is theft of taxpayers money) seem to think they are invincible.

The day of reckoning will come and the electorate will show them exactly what they are. Bottom feeding scum!
So, Fred Karnos Army continues it's march onwards towards sticking two fingers up to the people of Basingstoke. These trough feeders and theives ( there is no other word as it is theft of taxpayers money) seem to think they are invincible. The day of reckoning will come and the electorate will show them exactly what they are. Bottom feeding scum! CineEngineer
  • Score: 10

5:19pm Sat 12 Apr 14

Bertie-7 says...

It's predictable that those people with an agenda of their own express their contempt for Maria Miller here. Have a word with yourself - are you not no better than the unsavoury elements in the press who hounded her out of office, because they needed to fill 24-hour news bulletins and sell papers. We all know the press think they dictate the news. The majority of us have moved on and the rules will be tightened. I don't care for raking up the past. I for one don't believe in publicly crucifying someone - who has contributed a good deal more than most to society. I have not met you, but best wishes to you and your family Maria.
It's predictable that those people with an agenda of their own express their contempt for Maria Miller here. Have a word with yourself - are you not no better than the unsavoury elements in the press who hounded her out of office, because they needed to fill 24-hour news bulletins and sell papers. We all know the press think they dictate the news. The majority of us have moved on and the rules will be tightened. I don't care for raking up the past. I for one don't believe in publicly crucifying someone - who has contributed a good deal more than most to society. I have not met you, but best wishes to you and your family Maria. Bertie-7
  • Score: -16

8:00pm Sat 12 Apr 14

CineEngineer says...

Bertie-7 wrote:
It's predictable that those people with an agenda of their own express their contempt for Maria Miller here. Have a word with yourself - are you not no better than the unsavoury elements in the press who hounded her out of office, because they needed to fill 24-hour news bulletins and sell papers. We all know the press think they dictate the news. The majority of us have moved on and the rules will be tightened. I don't care for raking up the past. I for one don't believe in publicly crucifying someone - who has contributed a good deal more than most to society. I have not met you, but best wishes to you and your family Maria.
But its ok to STEAL from the taxpayer then?

Suggest you crawl back under the stone you crawled out of spouting garbage like that.

To hell with Miller and all others from whatever political party they come from whom obtain taxpayers money for their own greedy money grabbing ends.
[quote][p][bold]Bertie-7[/bold] wrote: It's predictable that those people with an agenda of their own express their contempt for Maria Miller here. Have a word with yourself - are you not no better than the unsavoury elements in the press who hounded her out of office, because they needed to fill 24-hour news bulletins and sell papers. We all know the press think they dictate the news. The majority of us have moved on and the rules will be tightened. I don't care for raking up the past. I for one don't believe in publicly crucifying someone - who has contributed a good deal more than most to society. I have not met you, but best wishes to you and your family Maria.[/p][/quote]But its ok to STEAL from the taxpayer then? Suggest you crawl back under the stone you crawled out of spouting garbage like that. To hell with Miller and all others from whatever political party they come from whom obtain taxpayers money for their own greedy money grabbing ends. CineEngineer
  • Score: 9

9:09pm Sat 12 Apr 14

Tommyboy69 says...

Once they are in power, They don't give a monkeys about those who voted for them, The times they are a changing for this SHOWER in parliament, Local, EU, and General elections to come, Cameron is away on his hols, He may as well not come back, Brussels can run things here as he allows them to do at the moment, Its Uk independence party for me. OUT of the EU, And freedom from the undemocratic SHOWER in Brussels, Put Britain FIRST.
Once they are in power, They don't give a monkeys about those who voted for them, The times they are a changing for this SHOWER in parliament, Local, EU, and General elections to come, Cameron is away on his hols, He may as well not come back, Brussels can run things here as he allows them to do at the moment, Its Uk independence party for me. OUT of the EU, And freedom from the undemocratic SHOWER in Brussels, Put Britain FIRST. Tommyboy69
  • Score: 5

10:04pm Sat 12 Apr 14

Bertie-7 says...

CineEngineer wrote:
Bertie-7 wrote:
It's predictable that those people with an agenda of their own express their contempt for Maria Miller here. Have a word with yourself - are you not no better than the unsavoury elements in the press who hounded her out of office, because they needed to fill 24-hour news bulletins and sell papers. We all know the press think they dictate the news. The majority of us have moved on and the rules will be tightened. I don't care for raking up the past. I for one don't believe in publicly crucifying someone - who has contributed a good deal more than most to society. I have not met you, but best wishes to you and your family Maria.
But its ok to STEAL from the taxpayer then?

Suggest you crawl back under the stone you crawled out of spouting garbage like that.

To hell with Miller and all others from whatever political party they come from whom obtain taxpayers money for their own greedy money grabbing ends.
You kind of illustrate my point - you read the press headlines and jump to a conclusion, which is exactly what certain press groups and political factions get off on and wanted you to do. Someone raked up these historical events and went after Maria Miller. Whatever the rights and wrongs, your perception is based on populist political headlines, because the fact is that neither you nor I conducted the review of her affairs - her employer did.he was investigated by her employer and required to make amends. I don't agree with what happened, and yes the politicians should have knownYou kind of illustrate my point - you read the press headlines and jump to a conclusion, which is exactly what certain press groups and political factions get off on and wanted you to do. Someone raked up these historical events and went after Maria Miller. Whatever the rights and wrongs, your perception is based on populist political headlines, because the fact is that neither you nor I conducted the review of her affairs.he was investigated by her employer and required to make amends. I don't agree with what happened, but there you go, it did, and Maria Miller was required to remedy the situation, but not be hung, drawn and quartered. So there you go, we don't know the entire context and it's very easy with 20-20 hindsight to cast the first stone - and cheap.
[quote][p][bold]CineEngineer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bertie-7[/bold] wrote: It's predictable that those people with an agenda of their own express their contempt for Maria Miller here. Have a word with yourself - are you not no better than the unsavoury elements in the press who hounded her out of office, because they needed to fill 24-hour news bulletins and sell papers. We all know the press think they dictate the news. The majority of us have moved on and the rules will be tightened. I don't care for raking up the past. I for one don't believe in publicly crucifying someone - who has contributed a good deal more than most to society. I have not met you, but best wishes to you and your family Maria.[/p][/quote]But its ok to STEAL from the taxpayer then? Suggest you crawl back under the stone you crawled out of spouting garbage like that. To hell with Miller and all others from whatever political party they come from whom obtain taxpayers money for their own greedy money grabbing ends.[/p][/quote]You kind of illustrate my point - you read the press headlines and jump to a conclusion, which is exactly what certain press groups and political factions get off on and wanted you to do. Someone raked up these historical events and went after Maria Miller. Whatever the rights and wrongs, your perception is based on populist political headlines, because the fact is that neither you nor I conducted the review of her affairs - her employer did.he was investigated by her employer and required to make amends. I don't agree with what happened, and yes the politicians should have knownYou kind of illustrate my point - you read the press headlines and jump to a conclusion, which is exactly what certain press groups and political factions get off on and wanted you to do. Someone raked up these historical events and went after Maria Miller. Whatever the rights and wrongs, your perception is based on populist political headlines, because the fact is that neither you nor I conducted the review of her affairs.he was investigated by her employer and required to make amends. I don't agree with what happened, but there you go, it did, and Maria Miller was required to remedy the situation, but not be hung, drawn and quartered. So there you go, we don't know the entire context and it's very easy with 20-20 hindsight to cast the first stone - and cheap. Bertie-7
  • Score: -12

1:00am Sun 13 Apr 14

EMW says...

Bertie-7 wrote:
CineEngineer wrote:
Bertie-7 wrote:
It's predictable that those people with an agenda of their own express their contempt for Maria Miller here. Have a word with yourself - are you not no better than the unsavoury elements in the press who hounded her out of office, because they needed to fill 24-hour news bulletins and sell papers. We all know the press think they dictate the news. The majority of us have moved on and the rules will be tightened. I don't care for raking up the past. I for one don't believe in publicly crucifying someone - who has contributed a good deal more than most to society. I have not met you, but best wishes to you and your family Maria.
But its ok to STEAL from the taxpayer then?

Suggest you crawl back under the stone you crawled out of spouting garbage like that.

To hell with Miller and all others from whatever political party they come from whom obtain taxpayers money for their own greedy money grabbing ends.
You kind of illustrate my point - you read the press headlines and jump to a conclusion, which is exactly what certain press groups and political factions get off on and wanted you to do. Someone raked up these historical events and went after Maria Miller. Whatever the rights and wrongs, your perception is based on populist political headlines, because the fact is that neither you nor I conducted the review of her affairs - her employer did.he was investigated by her employer and required to make amends. I don't agree with what happened, and yes the politicians should have knownYou kind of illustrate my point - you read the press headlines and jump to a conclusion, which is exactly what certain press groups and political factions get off on and wanted you to do. Someone raked up these historical events and went after Maria Miller. Whatever the rights and wrongs, your perception is based on populist political headlines, because the fact is that neither you nor I conducted the review of her affairs.he was investigated by her employer and required to make amends. I don't agree with what happened, but there you go, it did, and Maria Miller was required to remedy the situation, but not be hung, drawn and quartered. So there you go, we don't know the entire context and it's very easy with 20-20 hindsight to cast the first stone - and cheap.
Are you a relative by any chance Bertie or do you just not get it either?
We do NOT like MPs who mistake their expense claims particularly when Joe public have to take the cuts etc. that the imbeciles of Westminster impose!
What do you think would have happened if the people of Basingstoke had had the ,kicked into the long grass,power of recall as promised by the fumbling Camoron and his prefect Clogg?
Change is coming and I expect the freshness and openness of UKIP to bring it!
[quote][p][bold]Bertie-7[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CineEngineer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bertie-7[/bold] wrote: It's predictable that those people with an agenda of their own express their contempt for Maria Miller here. Have a word with yourself - are you not no better than the unsavoury elements in the press who hounded her out of office, because they needed to fill 24-hour news bulletins and sell papers. We all know the press think they dictate the news. The majority of us have moved on and the rules will be tightened. I don't care for raking up the past. I for one don't believe in publicly crucifying someone - who has contributed a good deal more than most to society. I have not met you, but best wishes to you and your family Maria.[/p][/quote]But its ok to STEAL from the taxpayer then? Suggest you crawl back under the stone you crawled out of spouting garbage like that. To hell with Miller and all others from whatever political party they come from whom obtain taxpayers money for their own greedy money grabbing ends.[/p][/quote]You kind of illustrate my point - you read the press headlines and jump to a conclusion, which is exactly what certain press groups and political factions get off on and wanted you to do. Someone raked up these historical events and went after Maria Miller. Whatever the rights and wrongs, your perception is based on populist political headlines, because the fact is that neither you nor I conducted the review of her affairs - her employer did.he was investigated by her employer and required to make amends. I don't agree with what happened, and yes the politicians should have knownYou kind of illustrate my point - you read the press headlines and jump to a conclusion, which is exactly what certain press groups and political factions get off on and wanted you to do. Someone raked up these historical events and went after Maria Miller. Whatever the rights and wrongs, your perception is based on populist political headlines, because the fact is that neither you nor I conducted the review of her affairs.he was investigated by her employer and required to make amends. I don't agree with what happened, but there you go, it did, and Maria Miller was required to remedy the situation, but not be hung, drawn and quartered. So there you go, we don't know the entire context and it's very easy with 20-20 hindsight to cast the first stone - and cheap.[/p][/quote]Are you a relative by any chance Bertie or do you just not get it either? We do NOT like MPs who mistake their expense claims particularly when Joe public have to take the cuts etc. that the imbeciles of Westminster impose! What do you think would have happened if the people of Basingstoke had had the ,kicked into the long grass,power of recall as promised by the fumbling Camoron and his prefect Clogg? Change is coming and I expect the freshness and openness of UKIP to bring it! EMW
  • Score: 8

11:08am Sun 13 Apr 14

Upontheroof says...

Bertie, no one is illustrating your points at all, so your statements are quite confusing. Just because you say the same thing again, it doesn't make you correct .....
Bertie, no one is illustrating your points at all, so your statements are quite confusing. Just because you say the same thing again, it doesn't make you correct ..... Upontheroof
  • Score: 11

8:53pm Sun 13 Apr 14

Bob424 says...

I notice that someone from Basingstoke was quoted as saying that she had lost faith in the Tories (haven't we all?) and would change her vote next time to either UKIP or Labour ! Apart from the fact that you couldn't find two parties further away from each other in terms of their policies, does she have such a short memory that it was Labour who created the cesspit of a country we now find ourselves in? Forget the fraudulent expenses claims, almost everybody in Westminster does it, some get caught, but most don't, and there's little we can do about it. Instead think about how we can extricate ourselves from the corruption of the EU who are intent on obliterating anything to do with England, it's Monarchy and it's people.
Since the 3 main parties will NEVER allow us the freedom to do that
(forget Cameron's promise of a referendum, it WILL be broken) there seems to be only one other option which is to vote for UKIP as they seem to be the only party with our interests at heart.
I notice that someone from Basingstoke was quoted as saying that she had lost faith in the Tories (haven't we all?) and would change her vote next time to either UKIP or Labour ! Apart from the fact that you couldn't find two parties further away from each other in terms of their policies, does she have such a short memory that it was Labour who created the cesspit of a country we now find ourselves in? Forget the fraudulent expenses claims, almost everybody in Westminster does it, some get caught, but most don't, and there's little we can do about it. Instead think about how we can extricate ourselves from the corruption of the EU who are intent on obliterating anything to do with England, it's Monarchy and it's people. Since the 3 main parties will NEVER allow us the freedom to do that (forget Cameron's promise of a referendum, it WILL be broken) there seems to be only one other option which is to vote for UKIP as they seem to be the only party with our interests at heart. Bob424
  • Score: 6

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree