A WOMAN from Basingstoke has reported she was raped in a hotel in Egypt.
The 47-year-old businesswoman said she was raped at a hotel in Sharm-el-Sheikh just after midnight on Thursday, March 6.
Reports on the alleged assault stated that she said she had been sexually assaulted by a guard who had escorted her to her room. Hampshire Constabulary, which is helping with the investigation, has not confirmed this detail.
Police were alerted at the time and British Embassy made arrangements for the woman to be flown back to England.
Detective Sergeant Matt Gillooly said: “We are now working with the woman to evidence exactly what happened and provide support following the attack. We have a number of lines of enquiry which we are progressing.
“We are of course working closely with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and have already notified Egyptian authorities and will present them with evidence of the assault.”
The FCO said it was aware of the incident and is providing assistance.
Its website warns travellers of a rise in such attacks in the country during and since the Arab Spring movements in 2011.
It states: “In 2012, the FCO handled 23 cases of sexual assault and six cases of rape. Some assaults were against minors. Many occurred in what were considered to be safe places such as hotels.”