How to make your money go further

BASINGSTOKE-based housing association Sentinel has teamed up with the Citizens Advice Bureau to host a workshop that will show residents how they can make their pounds and pennies go further.

On January 23, the two organisations will jointly run a course called ‘Making the Most of Your Money’ at the Popley Fields Community Centre.

The free course is open to all Sentinel Housing Association customers. During the three-hour workshop, experts will dish out tips on how residents can budget better and pay-off debts while ensuring they have enough to live on.

Other topics include how to set up direct debit payments for the rent, how to save for important events such as birthdays, and how to take out a loan from reputable organisations with manageable payment plans.

The workshop runs from 9am to 12pm at the community centre, in Carpenters Down, Popley. For more information, or to book a place, call 0800 195 5515, or email info@sentinelha.org.uk.

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:08pm Thu 10 Jan 13

wight1337 says...

Sounds like a prep course for the introduction of Universal Credit, when those that the Tories describe as scroungers and skivers (those on in-work benefits to you and me) are going to be plunged even deeper into abject poverty.
Sounds like a prep course for the introduction of Universal Credit, when those that the Tories describe as scroungers and skivers (those on in-work benefits to you and me) are going to be plunged even deeper into abject poverty. wight1337
  • Score: 0

11:52am Fri 11 Jan 13

Sam_Walker123456 says...

wight1337 wrote:
Sounds like a prep course for the introduction of Universal Credit, when those that the Tories describe as scroungers and skivers (those on in-work benefits to you and me) are going to be plunged even deeper into abject poverty.
At least somebody is taking positive action to help rather than sitting on the sidelines making cynical and bitter comments. I seem to remember KCAC/Media Voice had a similar outlook on life - you aren't related are you?
[quote][p][bold]wight1337[/bold] wrote: Sounds like a prep course for the introduction of Universal Credit, when those that the Tories describe as scroungers and skivers (those on in-work benefits to you and me) are going to be plunged even deeper into abject poverty.[/p][/quote]At least somebody is taking positive action to help rather than sitting on the sidelines making cynical and bitter comments. I seem to remember KCAC/Media Voice had a similar outlook on life - you aren't related are you? Sam_Walker123456
  • Score: 0

11:00pm Fri 11 Jan 13

wight1337 says...

@Sam_Walker123456 I live in the hope of attaining your bigoted approval
@Sam_Walker123456 I live in the hope of attaining your bigoted approval wight1337
  • Score: 0

7:42pm Sun 13 Jan 13

jonone says...

wight1337 wrote:
Sounds like a prep course for the introduction of Universal Credit, when those that the Tories describe as scroungers and skivers (those on in-work benefits to you and me) are going to be plunged even deeper into abject poverty.
I can only speak for those on in-work benefits who I have to live near. Will people be told to cut back on cigarettes, alcohol and, perhaps, prolific breeding? Just a thought - no doubt I am now a bigot for stating only what I see with my own eyes! (I could never be a socialist as I value working your way through life and taking responsibility for your own actions - the things most socialists would rather slash their wrists than do)
[quote][p][bold]wight1337[/bold] wrote: Sounds like a prep course for the introduction of Universal Credit, when those that the Tories describe as scroungers and skivers (those on in-work benefits to you and me) are going to be plunged even deeper into abject poverty.[/p][/quote]I can only speak for those on in-work benefits who I have to live near. Will people be told to cut back on cigarettes, alcohol and, perhaps, prolific breeding? Just a thought - no doubt I am now a bigot for stating only what I see with my own eyes! (I could never be a socialist as I value working your way through life and taking responsibility for your own actions - the things most socialists would rather slash their wrists than do) jonone
  • Score: 0

7:44pm Sun 13 Jan 13

jonone says...

Oh, and I have to budget my money every month and all my money is earned by me. Why are people who are supported by benefits not earned by them considered exempt from the responsibility of budgeting? Rhetorical question, because I know I'll not get a grown up sensible answer - something else Socialists are incapable of.
Oh, and I have to budget my money every month and all my money is earned by me. Why are people who are supported by benefits not earned by them considered exempt from the responsibility of budgeting? Rhetorical question, because I know I'll not get a grown up sensible answer - something else Socialists are incapable of. jonone
  • Score: 0

11:17am Mon 14 Jan 13

wight1337 says...

jonone wrote:
wight1337 wrote:
Sounds like a prep course for the introduction of Universal Credit, when those that the Tories describe as scroungers and skivers (those on in-work benefits to you and me) are going to be plunged even deeper into abject poverty.
I can only speak for those on in-work benefits who I have to live near. Will people be told to cut back on cigarettes, alcohol and, perhaps, prolific breeding? Just a thought - no doubt I am now a bigot for stating only what I see with my own eyes! (I could never be a socialist as I value working your way through life and taking responsibility for your own actions - the things most socialists would rather slash their wrists than do)
Perhaps you should move out of the ghetto and reside in the harmonious in the company of other Daily Mail readers...Or maybe they would shun you too.

Odd that you should just happen to know the intimate circumstances and financial arrangements of the neighbours you so clearly harbour a grudge towards. Perhaps they have faith in their fellow man and actually trust you.
[quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wight1337[/bold] wrote: Sounds like a prep course for the introduction of Universal Credit, when those that the Tories describe as scroungers and skivers (those on in-work benefits to you and me) are going to be plunged even deeper into abject poverty.[/p][/quote]I can only speak for those on in-work benefits who I have to live near. Will people be told to cut back on cigarettes, alcohol and, perhaps, prolific breeding? Just a thought - no doubt I am now a bigot for stating only what I see with my own eyes! (I could never be a socialist as I value working your way through life and taking responsibility for your own actions - the things most socialists would rather slash their wrists than do)[/p][/quote]Perhaps you should move out of the ghetto and reside in the harmonious in the company of other Daily Mail readers...Or maybe they would shun you too. Odd that you should just happen to know the intimate circumstances and financial arrangements of the neighbours you so clearly harbour a grudge towards. Perhaps they have faith in their fellow man and actually trust you. wight1337
  • Score: 0

12:21pm Mon 14 Jan 13

Sam_Walker123456 says...

wight1337 wrote:
@Sam_Walker123456 I live in the hope of attaining your bigoted approval
The very same sarcastic comment previously employed by KCAC/Mediavoice! It was you who posted the very first comment - all I did was point out that somebody was offering help whereas you were just offering cynical and bitter commentary. It is you who has displayed bigotry - see your comments directed at jonone. However, I find jonone's comments equally as bigotted. The truth probably lies somewhere between the extreme views posted by the two of you.
[quote][p][bold]wight1337[/bold] wrote: @Sam_Walker123456 I live in the hope of attaining your bigoted approval[/p][/quote]The very same sarcastic comment previously employed by KCAC/Mediavoice! It was you who posted the very first comment - all I did was point out that somebody was offering help whereas you were just offering cynical and bitter commentary. It is you who has displayed bigotry - see your comments directed at jonone. However, I find jonone's comments equally as bigotted. The truth probably lies somewhere between the extreme views posted by the two of you. Sam_Walker123456
  • Score: 0

12:43pm Mon 14 Jan 13

Hooked on you says...

Perhaps some of these people that are on benefits should cut back on having the lastest mobile phones, 2 cars on their drives, sky t.v. cigerettees, booze, and whatever the lastest gadgets that come on the market.

I support Jonone.
Perhaps some of these people that are on benefits should cut back on having the lastest mobile phones, 2 cars on their drives, sky t.v. cigerettees, booze, and whatever the lastest gadgets that come on the market. I support Jonone. Hooked on you
  • Score: 0

12:46pm Mon 14 Jan 13

jonone says...

wight1337 wrote:
jonone wrote:
wight1337 wrote: Sounds like a prep course for the introduction of Universal Credit, when those that the Tories describe as scroungers and skivers (those on in-work benefits to you and me) are going to be plunged even deeper into abject poverty.
I can only speak for those on in-work benefits who I have to live near. Will people be told to cut back on cigarettes, alcohol and, perhaps, prolific breeding? Just a thought - no doubt I am now a bigot for stating only what I see with my own eyes! (I could never be a socialist as I value working your way through life and taking responsibility for your own actions - the things most socialists would rather slash their wrists than do)
Perhaps you should move out of the ghetto and reside in the harmonious in the company of other Daily Mail readers...Or maybe they would shun you too. Odd that you should just happen to know the intimate circumstances and financial arrangements of the neighbours you so clearly harbour a grudge towards. Perhaps they have faith in their fellow man and actually trust you.
Typical response expected from a socialist. I have only stated what I know - if these people are financially secure and well off - which I have note inferred any direct knowledge of - then they should not be in taxpayer subsidised social housing. And as for knowing the intimate circumstances, I can again only base my opinions on what I can see with my own eyes (masses of kids outside in summer, the satellite dish overhanging my fence, the occupants standing on their doorsteps smoking every 30 mins, the TVs visible from the public footpath at the rear, to name 3 things based on witnessed fact not judgemental opinion). Perhaps you can explain why it is acceptable for I am my wife to work full time, scrimp and save, count the pennies each month, only have the one child we can afford whilst our taxes subsidise the above?? I know I'll not get a sensible answer mind!! Oh, and I don't read the Daily Mail - presumably being judgmental is fine when it is a lower class no-mark judging upwards, LOL!
[quote][p][bold]wight1337[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wight1337[/bold] wrote: Sounds like a prep course for the introduction of Universal Credit, when those that the Tories describe as scroungers and skivers (those on in-work benefits to you and me) are going to be plunged even deeper into abject poverty.[/p][/quote]I can only speak for those on in-work benefits who I have to live near. Will people be told to cut back on cigarettes, alcohol and, perhaps, prolific breeding? Just a thought - no doubt I am now a bigot for stating only what I see with my own eyes! (I could never be a socialist as I value working your way through life and taking responsibility for your own actions - the things most socialists would rather slash their wrists than do)[/p][/quote]Perhaps you should move out of the ghetto and reside in the harmonious in the company of other Daily Mail readers...Or maybe they would shun you too. Odd that you should just happen to know the intimate circumstances and financial arrangements of the neighbours you so clearly harbour a grudge towards. Perhaps they have faith in their fellow man and actually trust you.[/p][/quote]Typical response expected from a socialist. I have only stated what I know - if these people are financially secure and well off - which I have note inferred any direct knowledge of - then they should not be in taxpayer subsidised social housing. And as for knowing the intimate circumstances, I can again only base my opinions on what I can see with my own eyes (masses of kids outside in summer, the satellite dish overhanging my fence, the occupants standing on their doorsteps smoking every 30 mins, the TVs visible from the public footpath at the rear, to name 3 things based on witnessed fact not judgemental opinion). Perhaps you can explain why it is acceptable for I am my wife to work full time, scrimp and save, count the pennies each month, only have the one child we can afford whilst our taxes subsidise the above?? I know I'll not get a sensible answer mind!! Oh, and I don't read the Daily Mail - presumably being judgmental is fine when it is a lower class no-mark judging upwards, LOL! jonone
  • Score: 0

12:51pm Mon 14 Jan 13

wight1337 says...

Sam_Walker123456 wrote:
wight1337 wrote:
@Sam_Walker123456 I live in the hope of attaining your bigoted approval
The very same sarcastic comment previously employed by KCAC/Mediavoice! It was you who posted the very first comment - all I did was point out that somebody was offering help whereas you were just offering cynical and bitter commentary. It is you who has displayed bigotry - see your comments directed at jonone. However, I find jonone's comments equally as bigotted. The truth probably lies somewhere between the extreme views posted by the two of you.
@ Sam_Walker123456 Everyone other than you is a bigot, I see.

I am new here but apparently running the gauntlet of the resident troll, most forums have one. Strange that the common view is that any comments they disagree with must have been posted by just one person using various identities.
[quote][p][bold]Sam_Walker123456[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wight1337[/bold] wrote: @Sam_Walker123456 I live in the hope of attaining your bigoted approval[/p][/quote]The very same sarcastic comment previously employed by KCAC/Mediavoice! It was you who posted the very first comment - all I did was point out that somebody was offering help whereas you were just offering cynical and bitter commentary. It is you who has displayed bigotry - see your comments directed at jonone. However, I find jonone's comments equally as bigotted. The truth probably lies somewhere between the extreme views posted by the two of you.[/p][/quote]@ Sam_Walker123456 Everyone other than you is a bigot, I see. I am new here but apparently running the gauntlet of the resident troll, most forums have one. Strange that the common view is that any comments they disagree with must have been posted by just one person using various identities. wight1337
  • Score: 0

1:20pm Mon 14 Jan 13

wight1337 says...

@jonone Given the struggle for survival you describe I am amazed the tax you pay could possibly subsidise all of your neighbours, or that you find the time to spy on them.
@jonone Given the struggle for survival you describe I am amazed the tax you pay could possibly subsidise all of your neighbours, or that you find the time to spy on them. wight1337
  • Score: 0

4:11pm Mon 14 Jan 13

Sam_Walker123456 says...

wight1337, KCAC/Mediavoice and his various other aliases accused everyone but himself of being a troll. He and all his aliases were eventually barred from this site - unless you know different. A troll is someone who deliberately posts a prevocative comment with the aim of offending and sparking a reaction - doesn't that describe what you did with your above comments? Things are seldom as black and white as you and jonone try to paint them - as I said before the truth lies between your two extreme views of society. I have been out of work and grateful of the benefit safety net and I believe most of my fellow claimants were genuine, but I also know there are too many benefit cheats. However this article was not about any of that - it was just about a help scheme, but you have hijacked it and I have been foolish enough to come along for the ride. Shame on me for falling for it.
wight1337, KCAC/Mediavoice and his various other aliases accused everyone but himself of being a troll. He and all his aliases were eventually barred from this site - unless you know different. A troll is someone who deliberately posts a prevocative comment with the aim of offending and sparking a reaction - doesn't that describe what you did with your above comments? Things are seldom as black and white as you and jonone try to paint them - as I said before the truth lies between your two extreme views of society. I have been out of work and grateful of the benefit safety net and I believe most of my fellow claimants were genuine, but I also know there are too many benefit cheats. However this article was not about any of that - it was just about a help scheme, but you have hijacked it and I have been foolish enough to come along for the ride. Shame on me for falling for it. Sam_Walker123456
  • Score: 0

4:35pm Mon 14 Jan 13

wight1337 says...

@Sam_Walker123456 you are paranoid, the demons are not in the shadows they are in your head. I have never commented on these pages in any name other than this one. Are you moderating these pages? If not stop trying to do so and report my comments, if you really believe you have grounds. All you are doing is stopping people commenting, which is bad for the forum and bad for the advertisers who ultimately fund it.
@Sam_Walker123456 you are paranoid, the demons are not in the shadows they are in your head. I have never commented on these pages in any name other than this one. Are you moderating these pages? If not stop trying to do so and report my comments, if you really believe you have grounds. All you are doing is stopping people commenting, which is bad for the forum and bad for the advertisers who ultimately fund it. wight1337
  • Score: 0

5:06pm Mon 14 Jan 13

Sam_Walker123456 says...

wight 1337, it is you who is seems to be paranoid - The Gazette reports positive news and you interpret it as an establishment con trick. I apologise for suggesting you were KCAC/Mediavoice in a previous life when I have no evidence other than the coincidence of the similarity of the words and phrases you have used. Also I have not suggested I would report your comments because, although negative and biased, I do not believe they breach the terms of this site. As to moderating these pages, we all have a right to offer judgements - I cannot stop you and you cannot stop me unless we do not abide by the site terms. You are showing more signs of paranoia if you think I can stop people commenting.
wight 1337, it is you who is seems to be paranoid - The Gazette reports positive news and you interpret it as an establishment con trick. I apologise for suggesting you were KCAC/Mediavoice in a previous life when I have no evidence other than the coincidence of the similarity of the words and phrases you have used. Also I have not suggested I would report your comments because, although negative and biased, I do not believe they breach the terms of this site. As to moderating these pages, we all have a right to offer judgements - I cannot stop you and you cannot stop me unless we do not abide by the site terms. You are showing more signs of paranoia if you think I can stop people commenting. Sam_Walker123456
  • Score: 0

8:20pm Mon 14 Jan 13

wight1337 says...

I will ignore you in that case as you are little more than a self appointed vigilante more concerned with your own prejudices and practicing your bullying. If you keep trying to pester me I will stop commenting on these pages and inform the Gazette this is due to your harassment making my continued participation untenable.
I will ignore you in that case as you are little more than a self appointed vigilante more concerned with your own prejudices and practicing your bullying. If you keep trying to pester me I will stop commenting on these pages and inform the Gazette this is due to your harassment making my continued participation untenable. wight1337
  • Score: 0

3:28pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Sam_Walker123456 says...

wight1337 wrote:
I will ignore you in that case as you are little more than a self appointed vigilante more concerned with your own prejudices and practicing your bullying. If you keep trying to pester me I will stop commenting on these pages and inform the Gazette this is due to your harassment making my continued participation untenable.
Ignore me,report me but don't expect me to submit to your bullying threats. As it happens I will be reporting jonone for the offensive comment he directed at you above.
[quote][p][bold]wight1337[/bold] wrote: I will ignore you in that case as you are little more than a self appointed vigilante more concerned with your own prejudices and practicing your bullying. If you keep trying to pester me I will stop commenting on these pages and inform the Gazette this is due to your harassment making my continued participation untenable.[/p][/quote]Ignore me,report me but don't expect me to submit to your bullying threats. As it happens I will be reporting jonone for the offensive comment he directed at you above. Sam_Walker123456
  • Score: 0

12:37pm Thu 17 Jan 13

jonone says...

Sam_Walker123456 wrote:
wight1337 wrote: I will ignore you in that case as you are little more than a self appointed vigilante more concerned with your own prejudices and practicing your bullying. If you keep trying to pester me I will stop commenting on these pages and inform the Gazette this is due to your harassment making my continued participation untenable.
Ignore me,report me but don't expect me to submit to your bullying threats. As it happens I will be reporting jonone for the offensive comment he directed at you above.
Oi! that was a very valid comment I made based on the behaviour shown!
[quote][p][bold]Sam_Walker123456[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wight1337[/bold] wrote: I will ignore you in that case as you are little more than a self appointed vigilante more concerned with your own prejudices and practicing your bullying. If you keep trying to pester me I will stop commenting on these pages and inform the Gazette this is due to your harassment making my continued participation untenable.[/p][/quote]Ignore me,report me but don't expect me to submit to your bullying threats. As it happens I will be reporting jonone for the offensive comment he directed at you above.[/p][/quote]Oi! that was a very valid comment I made based on the behaviour shown! jonone
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree