OAKWOOD sponsored Andover finally got their season up and running with a comfortable 37-13 win over Effingham and Leatherhead at the Goodship ground last Saturday.

The visitors were relegated from the league above last season and had high hopes to exploit Andover's indifferent start to the season, but after a stuttering first twenty minutes, it was the 'All Blacks' who left the visitors in their wake.

Andover had several front line players missing for this one and began apprehensively. Effingham came at them hard in this period and as Andover tried to organise they were hit with an early try and penalty.

Andover did not let heads drop however and even at this stage showed that if they could cut out errors they were the better side. Man of the match Alex Arter inspired with some wonderful defence as did his wing colleague Josh Gibbs and as Effingham could make no further progress, Andover had weathered the early storm.

Attacking down the slope Andover stormed forward, but a series of dropped passes held back their progress.

Then on fifteen minutes after a series of strong carries only halted by foul play, the referee lost patience with the visitors and awarded Andover a penalty try.

Andover attacked again and were unfortunate not to be rewarded further by the referee after several high tackles, but then came a sight all were pleased to see.

From a lovely backs move returning centre Evan Roll showed what Andover had been missing with a superb break through the middle, and as Charlie Waite and Ioan Gwynne Davies recycled, Nic Reed drove himself through the visiting defence to score.

For the final ten minutes Andover piled it on and with yet more penalties coming, Rich Retallick struck twice to extend the half time lead to ten points.

At the break CJ Feirn replaced the powerful Jake Dixon and his pace from the base of the scrum soon caused problems.

After pressing hard Andover kicked yet another penalty to the corner, and from the catch and drive Hooker Fin Waite capped a fine personal performance with his fourth try of the season, converted by Rettalick.

It was then all Andover.

Gwynne Davies was at the heart of everything and when he was held up youngster Feirn was on hand to fly over with Retallick again on target.

Dixon came back on to replace the dogged Simon Preece and Bryn Waite provided the fresh legs for Jack Cooper as Andover went for the throat.

Andover went through the phases and were again halted only by penalties, but once again Gwynne Davies was quickest and as he was held up short Charlie Waite went over for Andover's fifth try.