FOR the second week in row Andover ended a home fixture deeply frustrated at not taking more from from a game that they dominated for long periods.

Once again missed opportunities and some bizarre defensive errors handed the visiting Portsmouth a 39-28 victory, on a day when Andover had so much possession, especially in the second half that defeat was simply a careless outcome.

The scene was set early with Andover dominating up front, setting up good phases and pressing the visitors line, but wasting several good opportunities to open the scoring.

Portsmouth for their part showed their intent in this period by hitting Andover on the break, before from a lineout they found an open door as Andover napped to take the lead.

Andover pressed again but were soon further behind when some equally generous defence out wide, left space that the visitors exploited superbly.

Portsmouth sensed blood and then had their best spell of the game as Andover struggled to contain them and on twenty minutes they went over again.

It looked like it was going to be a long afternoon for the 'All Blacks' but from the try restart they suddenly awoke from their slumber and struck back. From a lineout James Smith fed Tom Waite and the hooker sprinted home with Rich Rettalick adding the extras.

The game turned on its head and from nowhere Portsmouth were suddenly under real and sustained pressure.

Andover hammered their line and after coming close three times looked certain to score again when an unbelievably wild pass was picked up by the visitors who went the length of the pitch to score.

Andover once again attacked, but yet again failure to move the ball when certain to score cost them another guilt edged chance and Andover went into the break trailing by seventeen when they should have been in front.

Playing up the slope after the break Andover were pinned back by the visitors. Andover turned the ball over well in defence, but a loose defensive kick again gave the visitors almost free ball and they needed no second bidding.

Andover were now well behind and looking defeated but once again they rallied.

After great pressure from a break by skipper Alex Hibdige they won a five meter scrum, but managed to even mess that up when marching forwards and certain to score.

After more pressure however a great break from Josh Gibbs led to Ioan Gwynne Davies finally diving over with Rettalick again on target and Andover seemed back in business.

Enter the self destruct button again, as from another piece of loose play, the visiting centre was given the freedom of the town to gallop over.

Andover looked finished but once again suddenly roared back.

Nic Reed took a ball in midfield and broke three tackles to score and before long he was at it again when after a superb piece of interplay with Alex Arter, the big prop galloped away to score under the posts. Rettalick converted both efforts to give Andover hope.

Back within six points Andover were in with a real shout but manged to spurn two more chances before Portsmouth finally grabbed the decisive effort to run out winners.

Afterwards Director of Rugby Andy Waite said ' It's been a hugely difficult and emotional week for the club so we have to put things into perspective. We lost a game of rugby, on a day where we honoured our friend Declan Gillan with the kind help of Portsmouth RFC.'

'As far as the game goes however, we have had a heart to heart with the players after the game and they have put their hands up to take responsibility over the way we are playing. If we tighten up and get just a bit more accurate, these close defeats will become close wins and we all know that.'