Hartley Wintney gained their first-ever points in an Isthmian League fixture with a comfortable win over the Metropolitan Police. Like Hartley, the Met had virtually an entirely new team from last season having elected to seek voluntary relegation. In their team, they had the experienced Liam Beach in goal and former Hartley player Dan Stewart in midfield.

The Met almost had a dream start. With just 30 seconds played Eli Williams showed good pace down the left and sent in a fierce shot which crashed off the Row crossbar. Hartley were quick to respond and on four minutes Reece Wylie slid a pass through to Mason Obeng who saw his well-placed shot brilliantly saved by Beach. The Row gained the ascendancy and play was generally towards the visitors’ goal. On 15 minutes a slick Row move saw Obeng shoot on goal to be denied by Beach who parried. Elias Bagdonavicius following up on the rebound saw Beach react well and again save.

READ MORE: Whitchurch football club and council clash over lease terms

On 26 minutes, with Hartley well on top, Kayne Jobson found Obeng and his cross was headed over by Bagdonavicius. The Met defence remained overworked and in the 39th minute, a fast break down the right by Akpan ended with his parting effort being deflected wide. The long overdue opening goal arrived on 42 minutes. A Met attack was broken up and a fast break down the right saw the visitors' defence overloaded.  The eventual cross saw Nathanael Boakye shoot into the corner of the net. (1-0)

On 45 minutes Hartley increased the lead. Jayden Smith tricked his way into the penalty area before being upended. The winger dusted himself down before calmly slotting the resultant penalty kick into the corner of the net. (2-0)

In first period added time the Met pulled a goal back. A free kick on the left saw a header against the crossbar and Kareem Akinnibi scored from close range with the follow-up. (2-1).

SEE ALSO: Basingstoke Town record first win of season with 5-0 victory

Hartley remained in the ascendancy at the start of the second period and the strong running Bagdonavicius brought out a good save from Beach on 49 minutes. The Row increased the lead on 59 minutes after a spell of pressure. Wylie made good progress on the right before finding Bagdonavicius who crossed for Smith to convert from close range (3-1).

Things got even better for Hartley two minutes later. Bagdonavicius chased down a long ball and showed determination in getting possession from two defenders. He crossed for Smith to stroke the ball into the empty net to complete his hat trick. (4-1).

The Row almost added to the lead on 73 minutes when good work from Taylor Morgan set up Obeng who brought out a good save from Beach. The Met came into the game and on 83 minutes scored the best goal of the match. Alex Body went on a skilful run which left several Row defenders wrong-footed and finished with a shot past Callum Coulter in the Hartley goal. (4-2).

Hartley concluded the scoring on 88 minutes. Morgan showed determination to gain possession in the Met penalty area and his pass to Nathanael Boakye saw the midfielder shoot home from 10 yards. (5-2)

The visitors were unlucky not to register a third goal in added time. A free kick from 20 yards was taken by Akinnibi who saw his effort crash off the crossbar.