Hartley Wintney held off a late rally from Hanwell Town to claim all three points and provide new manager Ian Selley with a winning start. 

The Row almost made the perfect in the first minute. Zidan Akers showed good skill on the right wing and his cross found Benjamin Purcell who saw his shot saved by Hanwell goalie Hugo Sobte.  

The Geordies had their first effort on eight minutes following a right-wing cross from Dan Carr. Harry Rush and Kyeku Lucan combined and the latter brought out a comfortable save from Adam Desbois in the Row goal.

READ MORE: Former Arsenal player named manager of Hartley Wintney

On 41 minutes Saunders and Rush carved out an opening for Hanwell and Desbois brought off a good save. Hartley responded and had three good chances in quick succession.  The half ended with a cross from the right by Jacob Bancroft finding Purcell whose header went straight to Sobte.

The second period started quietly. However, on 50 minutes a quick break from the Geordies saw Rowe in with a chance from the right and his fierce shot brought out a good save from Desbois.

Hartley started to gain the initiative and on 53 minutes they took the lead. Josh Webb set Eshun free on the left and a powerful run saw him reach the bye line before crossing into the path of Paul Hodges who shot home from 10 yards. (1-0)

Four minutes later Hartley came close again. Hodges crossed from the right and set up Purcell who saw his shot take a deflection of Cooksley and go just wide.

Hartley increased the lead on 60 minutes. From a Hanwell corner a long pass from defence saw Zidan Akers in chase with a Geordies defender. Goalkeeper Sobte came rushing out and collided heavily with the Hanwell defender. This enabled Akers to run the ball into an unguarded net. (2-0)

The Geordies applied late pressure and were rewarded on 89 minutes. A corner on the right from Saunders found the head of Dwayne Duncan whose effort found the net despite the best efforts of Row defenders on the line. (2-1)

The Row were able to hold on despite considerable pressure in the six minutes added time to gain a welcome win.