The weather on the south coast almost matched the result and afternoon for Basingstoke RFC as they fell to their third defeat in a row at the home of new table toppers Trojans, succumbing to a 50-5 defeat, with the hosts running in eight tries in abysmal conditions.

Trojans got the first score of the game after just two minutes thanks to a number of penalties being conceded by ‘Stoke, allowing the hosts to take a quick penalty and slide into the corner to open their account for the afternoon.

‘Stoke responded well to the home side's fast start as they soon set up a maul which quickly began moving in the right direction, but it was the outcome of this which set the tone for the visitors afternoon.

Some good defence from the home side forced the visitors into numerous errors and it was one of these errors that allowed Trojans to score their second try of the game.

Some juggling in midfield from the ‘stoke back line saw the ball fall straight into the hands of the Trojans full back who was able to hack the ball up field and chase it down to slide over the line under the posts to increase the home side lead to 14-0.

A penalty kick soon followed for the hosts to give themselves a 17-point lead with less than 20 minutes played.

The remainder of the half saw ‘Stoke with pretty much all of the ball and constant attack of the Trojans try line. But try as they might they were unable to cross the line and make any inroads into the home side lead.

More handling errors and the odd handling error meant the home sides lead was intact as the half time whistle blew.

The second half started as the first half finished. ‘Stoke again with most of the possession and attacking the home side try line. Trojans were soon reduced to 14 men as numerous penalties saw the referee lose his patience and turn to his pocket. Shortly after, ‘Stoke finally got themselves the score that their possession and territory deserved.

After multiple attempts at driving towards the line Jordan Plenderleith managed to use his big frame to stretch out towards the line and get ‘Stoke up & running for the afternoon. Joe Campbell unable to convert meant ‘Stoke trailed 17-5 a short while into the second half.

The home side were quickly restoring their advantage as more lose play from ‘Stoke meant they were being pinned in their own 22’ and Trojans were soon scoring their third of the afternoon, as despite ‘Stoke forcing an error at the lineout, the hosts managed to break through a rigid defensive line and score beside the posts.

Tails were up on the home side and soon did follow their fourth try of the game to secure their try bonus point and pretty much secure victory.

Again, from a lineout, this time simple hands and some slick passing saw them scoring in the corner to secure the bonus point and hold a 29-5 lead.

Lack of fitness in the ‘Stoke side soon started to show as the home side were able to run in a further four tries in the last 10 minutes and the miserable afternoon weather-wise was matched only by the result.

Trojans brought up the 50-point mark with their eighth try of the afternoon after some more good defence saw them strip the ball in midfield and run straight into the corner to finish the game of in style.

‘Stoke were finally put out of their misery as the referee soon blew the final whistle to put an end to the home sides try fest. 50-5.

A third defeat in a row for ‘Stoke leaves them pointless and bottom of London SW3, with a tough home game to come in a fortnights time when they welcome Weybridge Vandals to Down Grange on October 16.

The break will be welcome for ‘Stoke to allow some of the walking wounded to recover in time for the next group of matches against Weybridge, Petersfield & Old Georgians before the November break.