HARTLEY Wintney lost 1-0 in the Hampshire derby to Gosport Borough in front of a good Bank Holiday crowd.

In the past, matches between the Row and the Borough have been very tight low scoring affairs and this one was to prove no exception.

Gosport started on the front foot and penned the Row in their own penalty area for the first 10 minutes but without creating a clear cut chance. However on 16 minutes Brad Tarbuck managed to create room for a shot which was held by a well positioned Luke Williams in the Row goal.

On 19 minutes Hartley had a real let off. Harvey Rew got free down the left and his accurate cross was met by Dan Wooden who was unlucky to see his close range effort cannon off the crossbar.

The Row came into the game and on 22 minutes a good run from Khalid Simmo saw him set up Josh Webb some 25 yards from goal. The midfielder’s fierce drive brought out a good save from Albert White in the Boro goal who pushed the ball over the crossbar. A minute later Hartley had a penalty claim when Simmo ‘s darting run was ended when he went down in the penalty area. Referee Nicholas Metcalfe waved play on.

The second period started with both sides defences adopting safety first clearances and hence no goal scoring opportunities. Hartley had the edge but looked vulnerable to quick breaks when their attacks broke down.

Some loose Row play in midfield saw Tarbuck through with a chance for the Borough but the parting shot went wide. Gosport scored what proved to be the decisive goal in the 69th minute.

With Hartley on the attack a shot from Jordan Edwards was blocked and the ball cannoned up field. A cross from the right went across the Row area to the left. Patrick Suraci retrieved and managed to get in a cross to the back post where Theo Lewis headed home unchallenged.

Hartley pushed forward for an equaliser and applied much pressure but without creating a clear cut chance. The darting runs of Simmo posed the main threat to the visitors packed defence. On 84 minutes Hartley almost pulled level. Simmo and Jacques Kpohomouh combined well down the right and the cross saw Matthew Casey slice his clearance in front of his own goal over the crossbar.

Into added time and a Tom Bird corner found the head of Kpohomouh who saw his effort saved by White. The Row continued to press but Borough created a couple of late chances from breakaways. Tarbuck crossed from the right and Hallet just missed getting his header in. Then Suraci gave Bouwe Bosma a chance but the substitutes parting shot saw Williams well positioned to save. There was still time for the Row to continue to press but the equaliser proved elusive.

A tight game where a draw would have probably been a fair result. Gosport are now second in the league. For Hartley injuries have given the opportunity to a number of their younger players to come in and overall they have acquitted themselves well. Both main strikers Kingsley Eshun and Sam Argent were out following injuries picked up on Saturday. The Row will be hoping one or both are fit to return for next Saturdays trip to Walton Casuals for an FA Cup match.

Manager Anthony Millerick said: "I felt under the circumstances it was a very brave performance by the team. It turned out to be a game of very few chances.

"I felt a number of our deliveries into the box could have been better. We know what we must do to improve.

"We were lacking the required fire power today with both Sam Argent and Kingsley Eshun missing."