Hartley Wintney progressed into the next round of the FA Cup thanks to a solitary second half goal from Ben Wright.

The Hammers played most of the match with 10 players and finished with just nine on the field.

Hamworthy created the first chance when Cam Munn crossed for Matt Neale who shot over on two minutes. The Row responded and on five minutes a long high ball into the penalty area saw Joe Gater rise and see his header clip the outside of the post. Six minutes later a Sam Argent flick gave Ben Wright a chance and the strikers shot was saved by a well positioned Shane Murphy in the Hamworthy goal. From the resulting corner from Josh Webb, Joe Gater headed over. On 14 minutes a fluent move from the Row gave Mitch Parker a chance but he saw his shot deflected over the bar.

Hartley maintained a slight edge but the Hammers had a few promising breaks. On 27 minutes Dan Cann had a chance for the Hammers as he got free inside the Hartley area. He managed to hook the ball over the Row keeper Luke Williams but Tom Bird was on the line to head out for a corner. From the resulting flag kick the ball came to Lee Francis and the Hammers captain’s effort was deflected wide.

The game which had been open until the 33rd minute changed. This followed an altercation between the Hammers Cam Munn and a member of the Row coaching staff in front of the dug outs. Both were issued with straight red cards; this leaving Hamworthy with one man disadvantage.

Six minutes later the coaching staff numbers were evened up as a member of the Hammers coaching staff also received a red card. The match quickly degenerated into a tense and scrappy affair, and scores were level at the break.

The second half saw the Hamworthy 10 men hold their own but without creating any real chances. The Row had a good spell and on 54 minutes took the lead. Tom Bird crossed and Sam Argent had an effort which was deflected wide.

From the resulting corner by Dean Stow the Hammers were unable to clear their lines. The ball fell to Mitch Parker who manged to find Ben Wright who scored from close range.

A difficult match for Hartley against determined opponents who should be a force in the Wessex League this season.

Anthony Millerick, Wintney manager, said: “It is good to be in the hat for the next round. A lot of credit to Hamworthy who did well to stay in the match even when down to 10 men.

"Disappointed with our performance today. We were far from our best and much of our play lacked fluency. It was good to keep a clean sheet at one end and we did create chances at the other end.

"It was our first competitive match and the message is ‘Can do better’."