WHITCHURCH United enjoyed a 2-1 win over New Milton, in front of the home side’s biggest gate of the season at their BBX Stadium last Saturday, writes MIKE ROBINS.

The Jam Boys started briskly and inside the first five minutes had two chances to open their account, Rory Wood had a shot on the turn that was just wide of the mark and shortly after a back heel that was easily dealt with by Luke Dennison in the home goal.

Mikey Davis on loan from Basingstoke Town then found himself through on goal and rounded the goalkeeper but was unable to finish.

It was not all one way though as veteran Ashley Booker and Jack Cooper combined well, but the former’s shot was superbly stopped by Ash Downs in the Whitchurch goal, spreading himself to stop the finish.

Davis was a thorn in the side of New Milton and had two more chances, a rising shot after shrugging off a defender was punched away, and then he had a curling shot from close to the touchline.

It was perhaps not surprising when it was him that broke the deadlock on 40 minutes with a shot over the onrushing Dennison’s outstretched arms.

The final action of the half saw some good work from Wood on the flank, but New Milton snuffed out the danger.

The second period started as the first ended, with a Whitchurch chance blocked by Booker after a weak clearance.

New Milton levelled the affair on 55 minutes through Asa Drodge.

A short pass from Ben Cooper found the youngster unmarked around 10 yards out and his low shot found the corner of the net.

This lifted the home side but they could not convert possession into goals and after a flurry of substitutions, the Jam Boys regained the lead.

This was a sloppy goal conceded by the hosts but finished well by Declan Shuttleworth from close range.

The crowd were then treated to a spectacular attempted scorpion kick from Lloyd Thompson that was well saved by an equally acrobatic save from Dennison.

Dennison also had to resort to some unorthodox defensive play as the game entered the final stages, and although both sides threatened to find a goal the final ball failed to produce any further additions to the scoreline as Whitchurch finished 2-1 winners..

Whitchurch manager Glyn Cherrett said: We had plenty of chances and deserved all three points. Micky Davis is a great addition for us."

This will be the Jam Boys last game for a while as the league is now suspended.