A WELL disciplined performance by Hartley Wintney saw them record a very notable 2-1 win at Southern League Premier South title contenders Chesham United.

The Row started brightly and came close to opening the scoring on 4 minutes.

A free kick from Ty Smith found the head of Sam Argent and his high header drifted just over the crossbar. Hartley continued to press and were rewarded on 9 minutes.

A corner on the right from Ty Smith was headed back across the goal by Matt Drage.

The ball fell to Joe Gater who shot hit the hand of a Chesham defender from point blank range.

Ty Smith stepped up and scored from the spot kick.

It took the Generals just three minutes to pull level. Good movement enabled Eoin Casey to get free on the right of the penalty area.

Matt Drage challenged and clipped the striker and a penalty was awarded.

David Pearce stepped up and scored with a low shot. (1-1).

Play settled down to a keen midfield battle with neither side able to make too much impression on the opposition defence.

However, on 38 minutes a long pass from Tom Bird found Mitch Parker on the right.

The striker created space for himself and was unlucky to see his shot go just wide.

Two minutes later the Row put together a slick move and Marley Ridge found Nathan Smart coming in from the right.

The full back’s shot went across the goal and just wide.

The second half resumed much in much the same vein as the first half although the home side had slightly more of the play.

On 62 minutes, Kyle Watson made a surging run down the left wing. His cross set up Kyle Ollyide who shot over from the edge of the penalty area.

The Generals continued to press, and Pearce set up Ollyide some 20 yards out.

The striker’s well struck shot found Row goalkeeper Luke Williams well positioned to save.

On 75 minutes the Row went ahead. Good play though the middle saw Ty Smith hit a fierce shot which crashed against the post.

Nathan Smart picked up the rebound on the right and his cross was fired home from 10 yards by an alert Sam Argent.

Chesham pressed late on but Williams was not tested. However on 89 minutes the Generals should have equalised.

A slick move saw three forwards get behind the Row defence. Ollyide set up Dernell Wynter who shot wide from around 12 yards.

A delighted Hartley manager Anthony Millerick said: “I felt we were the better side and deserved to win. The team showed excellent character today against a good team. I thought both penalties were debateable.”

He added: “I am immensely proud of the team. The hard work they put in at training shone through today.

“We now have a good group of players and look forward to all the upcoming games which will be a season in itself. Regarding nan of the match, every member of the team would have been eligible. Tom Bird never put a foot wrong all afternoon.”

Next up on Tuesday night (7.30pm) is a home game against Hendon.