HARTLEY Wintney moved up towards mid table after beating visiting basement club Dorchester Town 2-0.

Both sides struggled with the strong wind throughout, Hartley started well and in the first minute good work by Joe Grant created a chance for Adam Cornell.

The striker saw his effort saved by Shane Murphy in the visitors goal. The Magpies came close on 10 minutes when a free-kick on the left by Sean Wright shaved the back post.

A minute later a fine individual run by Mitch Parker ended with his parting shot going just wide. On 38 minutes a left wing corner from Ty Smith found the head of Shane Hollamby whose effort went wide.

The Row had a good spell approaching half time and went ahead on 45 minutes A high ball into the Dorch penalty area saw Alex Albert felled and a penalty awarded. Ty Smith converted the spot kick.

Dorchester started the second half strongly and on 48 minutes Franklyn Clarke had an effort headed off the line in spectacular fashion by man of the match Tom Bird.

Hartley increased their lead with their first attack of the second half on 52 minutes.

Tom Bird surged into the penalty box and his intended pass deflected into the path of Joe Grant who shot home from 15 yards.

On 58 minutes Aaron Kuhl linked up with Joe Grant who gave a chance to Josh Webb.

The midfielders shot went over the crossbar.

The Magpies had a chance to reduce the lead on 62 minutes after Franklyn Clarke was pulled down by Shane Hollamby in the penalty area. Hollamby received a straight red card.

Tom Bath saw his effort from the spot produce a good save from Luke Williams in the Row goal diving to his left.

After this Jack Ball came on in central defence replacing Aaron Kuhl.

On 64 minutes Franklyn Clark who was at the heart of Magpies better moments; crossed from the left and Tom Bath saw his header go wide.

Hartley almost increased their lead on 74 minutes when Josh Webb fired over following a free-kick into the penalty area by Tom Bird

The Magpies made a late surge against the ten Hartley men but were unable to create a clear cut chance.

However on 84 minutes Tom Purrington fashioned a chance but found Hartley goalkeeper Williams well positioned to save.

Jamie Laird was pushed forward in the latter stages for Dorch. The final move of the match Laird get behind the Row defence. As Williams came out Laird’s lob landed on top of the crossbar.

For Hartley a welcome three points without being at their best. For the Magpies a much improved second half performance which they will hope to take into their next fixture.

Afterwards Hartley manager Anthony Millerick said: "The conditions with the strong wind made it difficult for the players. I felt we were a bit rigid in the first half. We were not at our best.

"However, the encouraging aspect was the teams desire to win. For the first time in a while we are now looking upwards in the league, Of course we still recognise that there is still some work to do to enable us to get clear of the relegation slots.

"The players showed a good desire today to get the win and our squad are looking forward to the rest of the season."

Next for Hartley is a home game against Alresford Town in te quarter-finals of the Aldershot Senior Cup on Tuesday night.