THE only way is up for Basingstoke Town as they lost 6-1 to visiting Sholing and slipped to the foot of the Southern League Division One table.

In this contest, the home side were a goal down after eight minutes, as Stuart Green’s cross was cleared off the line by Adam Everiss, but only as far as Daniel Mason, who slotted home.

Just four minutes later the visitors doubled their advantage as a goal kick from Sholing goalkeeper Ryan Gosney’s saw Ben Cook sky his clearance, this fell to Bradley Targett and his cross to the far post was tapped in by Green.

The home side then pulled a goal back as Riccardo Andrady won a corner and Adam Everiss delivered the ball to the near post, where Dean Stow flicked it on with his head.

It looked like a Sholing defender cleared the ball off the line, but referee Gareth Dunn decided the ball had crossed the line making the score 2-1.

However, the visitors restored their two-goal advantage just seven minutes later, as Mason held off the challenge of Cook on the edge of the area and then fired home.

Soon after, the visitors could have had a fourth as Owen Royl was able to go down the right wing and found Lee Wort, whose shot went just wide.

The best move of the first 45 minutes saw Green feed the ball onto Mason, but his volley crashed off the crossbar.

The home side did make it 4-1 on 39 minutes as a nice cross from Green to the back-post saw Wort score.

There was still time left in the half for Basingstoke to be awarded a penalty after Owen Roundell clipped Brad Wilson.

Captain Dean Stow took the spot kick, but Ryan Gosney dived the right way and saved it.

After the interval, Town had their best spell of the game as they finally started to pass the ball and showed a bit of pace going forward.

After just 48 seconds, Cook fired over and then Cook fed the ball into Wilson, but he was crowded out.

Sholing then added a fifth on 58 minutes, as Wort forced his way into the penalty area and was dragged down by Stow.

Mason grabbed the match ball and converted from the spot to complete his hat-trick.

Just three minutes later, Sholing netted a sixth as Wort scored with a great overhead kick.

Despite being 6-1 down the home side’s fans continued to sing even if the visitors had even more chances with Town goalkeeper Aaron Watkins having to come to their rescue to stop the score getting to double figures.

A nice ball from Targett, put in Green, but Watkins at full stretch pushed his shot away.

Then with six minutes left, Daniel Mason played in Byron Mason, but his low shot was well saved.

Then a minute later, a great ball across to Targett, saw Watkins out to save again.

The 6-1 loss followed on from a New Year’s Day game away at Winchester City, which Town lost 5-1.

Goals from Luke King and Ollie Balmer had the home side 2-0 up at the break.

After the interval, Kieran Douglas scored twice in the space of seven minutes and then Oliver Griggs added a fifth on 74 minutes.

Town’s Wilson won a penalty late on, but he blazed it over the bar.

The striker then made amends by scoring in the 90th minute.

Looking back on the last two games Town manager Dan Brownlie said: “We were poor in both of our last two games. I know we have a lot of work to do and hope to bring some players in, which is going to help us.”

This Saturday, Town travel to former bottom side Barnstaple Town, who have won their last two games.