HARTLEY Wintney progressed into the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy with a 2-1 win over Westfield following a hard fought match.

Their reward is a trip to National League South side Eastbourne Borough a week on Saturday

Following and even start on Tuesday night it was the visitors who gained an edge and their first chance arrived on 10 minutes.

George Frith and Max Blackmore combined well and the latter’s shot saw a good block from the Row defence. However the respite was short lived as the Field took the lead from the resulting corner.

From Frith’s flag kick the ball found its way to Gregory Haydon whose shot brought an excellent stop from Luke Williams in the Row goal.

The ball rebounded out of the penalty area where Nkoma Tinashe tried his luck and a big deflection saw the ball find the net.

Six minutes later, it was almost two as Tinashe made good progress down the right at pace and his low cross was just missed at the back post by Aaron Watson.

The Row came into the game and pulled level on 22 minutes. Adam Morrell fed a good ball through to Dean Rule who was upended in the penalty area as he was about to shoot. Ty Smith scored from the spot.

Hartley had a good spell but without troubling Ross in the visitors goal. The Field relied on the pace of their two wingers Watson and Tinashe.

On 39 minutes a good cross field pass from Ujkaj Arsen gave Watson a chance coming in from the right and the wingers powerful shot was just over the bar.

Hartley started the second half well and took the lead on 54 minutes. Ty Smith created good space for himself on the edge of the penalty box but before he could shoot he was hauled down.

Smith took the free kick himself and his well struck effort produced a good diving stop from Ross. Adam Morrell following up scored from close range.

On 61 minutes, the Field had a chance from a Frith right wing corner. Haydon rose highest but directed his header wide.

Six minutes later Jonny Black fed Tinashe on the right and the wingers cross fizzed across the front of the goal with no takers.

On 70 minutes the visitors were reduced to ten players following a bad challenge by Jack Dean on Ty Smith. The visitors full back received a straight red card from referee John Pike.

The Row came close to extending the lead on 75 minutes. Man of the match Dean Rule latched on to a pass from Josh Webb and curled his shot just wide of the upright.

Approaching added time a free kick on the right from Ty Smith found the head of Alex Albert who headed wide. In the third minute of added time a run from Sal Abubakar saw his cross find Mickel Platt.

The substitute was unlucky to see his effort hit the inside of the post and roll along the line. The clearance was picked up by the Row and a fierce drive from Webb was tipped over by Ross.

After the game assistant manager Steve Noakes said: "I felt it was a good win after a slow start in the first 15 to 20 minutes. After we nullified their assets we got on top.

"We were the better side in the second half and should have won more comfortably."

He added: "Up front we caused Westfield a good number of problems. Adam Cornell looked sharp and re-acted well to score his goal. Dean Rule deserved his man of the match acclaim.

"We are pleased to be in the next round having won against difficult opponents."

Before there trip to Eastbourne, Hartley have the little matter of a couple of league games.

On Saturday they have the long trip to Truro and then on Tuesday night they entertain Poole Town.