HARTLEY Wintney secured a tremendous win at Southern League Premier Division high flyers Poole Town in the FA Trophy and with it earned an away fixture at Westfield on November 9 in the second qualifying round.

The Row dominated the match from the first whistle until the end and the only surprise was that the margin of the win was a solitary goal from Adam Cornell in the 80th minute.

Hartley started well and the first effort arrived on six minutes when Sal Abubakar saw his effort from the edge of the box saved by a well positioned Luke Cairney in the Dolphins goal.

Two minutes later, Ty Smith came close to scoring when he tried a shot from 30 yards which Cairney was relieved to see just go past the post.

On nine minutes an Abubakar cross found Ty Smith who set up Jack Ball. The Row captain saw his effort saved by Cairney.

The first Dolphins effort on the Row goal came from Hartley’s winger Abubakar. His miskick went high and Luke Williams in the Row goal had to be alert to keep it out the goal.

Two minutes later, Hartley pressed the self destruct button again. A free-kick on the left in a dangerous position for the Row saw a sideways pass straight to a Poole player.

A pass forward sent Ollie Dennett through and Luke Williams did well to stop the striker's parting shot with a good save.

Row resumed on the offensive but were just unable to get the breakthrough following a series of corners and free kicks. However on the half hour they once again tried to press the self destruct button.

A Row defender elected to pass the ball across the penalty area. Poole’s Luke Holmes intercepted the pass and shot over when well placed.

Hartley had a great chance to open the scoring straight after the re-start. Sal Abubakar got free down the right and his cross found a well placed Steve Duff.

The winger mishit his shot straight into the path of Mickel Platt who deflected the ball wide of the goal.

The hard working Platt was in action again on 53 minutes when he got onto the end of a pass from Nathan Smart, His well placed shot was pushed around the post by Cairney.

A minute later a long ball from defence found Cornell and the Row striker fired wide.

On 70 minutes, Poole had a chance following a good move down the left. Marvin Brooks made space for himself but shot over.

Hartley resumed on the attack looking for the winner and on 76 minutes substitute Dean Rule set up Cornell whose effort was off target.

striker had another chance in a better position a minute later when set up by Ty Smith but his parting shot went wide.

The pressure continued and on 80 minutes it was third time lucky for Adam Cornell. The Row worked the ball to the edge of the box where Ty Smith saw his shot blocked. The ball went to the left and Duff crossed for Cornell to score from close range.

Substitute Dean Rule was giving the Dolphins defenders problems and after good interplay he set up Abubakar who shot over the bar on 83 minutes. Rule created a good chance for Steven Duff two minutes later which saw the winger shoot wide.

The Dolphins finished strongly and gained a corner in the last minute of added time. The entire team came forward but Hartley cleared and held on to deservedly progress,

The Hartley management will reflect on an excellent team performance where all the players performed their roles to the letter apart from a few unforced errors which could have gifted Poole a goal or two.

Hartley are on their travels again on Saturday, with a trip to Weston-super-Mare.