BASINGSTOKE Town made it three wins on the trot as they beat visiting Melksham 4-2 in another eventful game at Winchester City.

Town boss Dan Brownlie had to reshuffle his starting XI, as four of last week’s side, Aaron Kuhl, Rueben Collins and Harrison Cliff were all injured and Zac Robinson was ruled out due to illness.

They were replaced by Scott Armsworth, D’Andre Brown, Mikey Davis and Jordan Edwards.

The home side took just nine minutes to open the scoring, as Davis made it two goals in two starts, as he fired in with a low volley after Riccardo Andrady’s corner had been helped on to him by Dean Stow.

The Dragons then made it 2-0 just seven minutes later, as a corner taken from the other side of the pitch by Ben Cook was met by Scott Armsworth’s glancing header.

The home side looked good value for their lead, but the visitors hit back on 19 minutes.

Luke Ballinger’s free-kick was headed clear to sub Liam Monelle and his deflected shot found its way to Joseph Romanski whose snap shot hit the net.

Melksham then levelled the game at 2-2 thanks to an awful back header from Edwards, which gifted Jack Ball the chance to fire home.

Just before the half hour mark of the game Town’s Brown was helped off the pitch after a tackle and was replaced by Reece Rusher.

The midfielder was taken to hospital with a suspected broken ankle which much to the relief of all, proved not to be the case.

The home side then took the lead in the contest for the third time, as a great run by Claudio Herbert saw him fouled just on the edge of the area.

Captain Dean Stow took the free-kick and his strike beat the wall. It skipped off the ground sending it over the diving Jamie Bartlett in the visitor’s net.

Town so nearly added a fourth right on 40 minutes after Davis released Herbert and he fed Cook, but he fired over.

Then at the other end Stow cleared off the line, as Jack Ball so nearly levelled things before the break.

After the interval, it became a feistier affair with Melksham collecting two yellow cards in the first two minutes, after a couple of crude tackles on Herbert and Edwards.

Just after the hour mark, the visitors were awarded a corner, but from it, Town broke away. The Melksham goalkeeper came flying out of his goal area, missed a tackle on Andrady, but did force him wide.

He then turned his back to the goal and was fouled by Josh Bennett.

The home fans wanted a red card, but the referee gave him a yellow.

However, on 69 minutes the visitors were reduced to 10 men when Taiwo booked in the opening minute of the half, felled Alfie Saunders.

Despite a Melksham delegation bigger than the one Britain sends to the EU pledging his case, the defender was shown a second yellow card, followed by a red.

Soon after, the visitors made a couple of changes and were the better side for the rest of the game, despite being down to 10 men.

Ball, Oscar Latas and sub Cameron Allen all had chances, before the home side had a rare attack with four minutes left from Davis.

Soon after, a great challenge from Stow denied Ball as he was about to pull the trigger on what looked like a certain goal.

Then two minutes into stoppage time Andrady was completely flattened by Melksham goalkeeper, as he chased a long ball, just inside the area.

Once again the home fans wanted a red card and once again only a yellow was shown, but Town were awarded a penalty, which Stow dispatched to make sure of the 4-2 victory.

After the game Dan Brownlie said: “We were forced to make a lot of changes today and I was pleased with everyone. It was a great team performance and gives me a real headache for selection going forward.”

Next for Town is another game against Melksham, this time away in the first round qualifying tie of the FA Trophy.