HARTLEY Wintney have been drawn at home to Spelthorne Sports in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup.

The Row will take on the Combined Counties League Premier Division side on Saturday, September 7

On Monday afternoon, the Hampshire derby between Hartley Wintney and Gosport Borough saw defences dominate throughout as both sides had to settle for a point.

The match saw two of the meanest defences in the league with Gosport conceding just two goals in the four matches played and the Row just three. Hartley had problems before the kick-off with the news that Mitch Parker and Tayo Odelayo had both left the club.

Mikel Platt was also not available. This meant that the team had one recognised striker in Dean Rule and Kerry Ogibeifun came in for his debut.

Both teams toiled in the sweltering heat but it was the visitors who edged the first half.

The first decent chance did not arrive until the 20th minutes.

A free-kick on the right by Liam Robinson saw the ball drop into the area with Hartley struggling to clear.

Sam Roberts had the chance to score but got smothered out before Matt Drage for the the Row managed to clear off the goal line.

Seven minutes later former Row favourite Sam Argent managed to get free on the right. As he entered the area he saw his effort from a bad angle saved by the well positioned Luke Williams.

On 31 minutes. the Borough had a good chance when Matt Patterson got free inside the area.

However, the striker elected to pass across the face of the goal when a shot may have brought dividends. Gosport continued to have a slight advantage prompted by Joshua Huggins but without testing Williams in the Row goal.

If the Borough had a slight edge in the first half it was Hartley who had the better of the second period.

From the off the Row had a good ten minute spell of pressure.

On 46minutes Nathan Smart got free down the right and his shot from a tight angle finished in the side netting. With the next attack Tom Bird created an opening for Kerry Ogibeifun but the young striker fired just wide.

The Row continued with the pressure and Dean Rule found Tom Bird who shot over the crossbar. On 50 minutes Ogibeifun freed Nathan Smart coming in from the right but the Row skipper shot across the face of the goal.

The Borough steadied the ship and came back into the game. On 71 minutes Theo Lewis fired in a fierce low shot from distance and Williams did well to get across and save. Two minutes later Hartley had a good chance. Dean Rule glided through the visitors defence to leave himself with a one on one with Borough keeper Patrick O’Flaherty.

The young striker’s parting shot was too near O’Flaherty who saved comfortably.

On 76 minutes, Hartley had another good chance when a long cross field pass eluded the Gosport defence leaving Josh Webb with a clear run in on goal.

The Row substitute shot too early and O’Flaherty saved. A minute later Hartley were awarded a penalty. Sal Abubakar created space on the right and saw his cross handled by a Borough defender.

Jack Ball stepped up but his shot was comfortably saved by O’Flaherty. Both sides showed caution towards the end and settled for the point apiece.

For Hartley the defence again were outstanding with Jack Ball and Matt Drage especially good. The Row must now try and strengthen the attack having scored just three goals so far this season.

Hartley are away at Dorchester this weekend