HARTLEY Wintney lost out 2-1 in a very close match, as visitors Swindon Supermarine made it two wins out of two.

The Marine almost made the perfect start in the first minutes.

Calvin Dinsley played in Kane Simpson who shot just past the post from 12 yards.

Four minutes later, the Row registered their first effort when Ty Smith tried his luck from distance.

His low effort was saved by the well positioned Marine goalkeeper Martin Horsell.

On 13 minutes a quick breakaway from the Swindon side saw Steve Fleetwood find Henry Spalding who saw his shot deflected wide.

Hartley had a good spell at the mid point of the half and were unlucky not to take the lead on 22 minutes.

A Smith left wing corner was not fully cleared by the Marine defence.

Josh Webb latched onto the ball around 20 yards out and was unlucky to see effort crash off the crossbar. Four minutes later the Marine had a chance with a free kick on the edge of the box.

James Edge struck the ball well but it took a deflection of the wall and out to safety.

Play subsequently became very even with few chances created against well organised defences.

The Row started the second half the brighter and on 48 minutes Tayo Oyebola did well to set up Smith who saw his effort go wide.

On 59 minutes Hartley almost got the breakthrough. A free-kick from Smith found Alex Albert whose volley brought out an excellent stop from Horsell.

The Row had a definite edge in territory and possession but were unable to fashion any chances.

On 71 minutes Webb for the Row set up Tayo who saw his parting shot bring out a comfortable save from Horsell. Soon after, the Marine took the lead with a very preventable goal.

A long ball forward saw a Row defender attempt to shepherd the ball out for a goal kick. Ryan Campbell was not for giving up and managed to gain possession.

As he entered the penalty area he was hauled down and referee Tom Ellsmore pointed to the penalty spot.

Steve Fleetwood stepped up and scored with a strong shot.

Hartley responded well and pulled level on 79 minutes. Tom Bird who had an impressive match fed Ty Smith.

and the midfielder fired in a strong low shot from 25 yards which found the net.

Six minutes later, Hartley thought they were ahead. A Ty Smith cross found Albert who looked to have scored. However, Horsell managed to save the ball albeit looking well over the line.

Post match photographs clearly show the ball was over the line.

However, the assistant referee did not get a clear view with the Marine goalkeeper’s body in the way and the referee waved play on.

Hartley pressed for the winner but they were caught out with a Marine second goal which again was preventable.

A long ball forward bounced high. A Row defender hesitated and Harry Williams gained possession.

The substitute lobbed the ball over Luke Williams in the Row goal for the winner.

For Hartley they will feel they did enough to at least draw in a tight match.

The team played well and produced some good football. The missing ingredient was the final pass to the strikers. In very tight matches mistakes are often the difference between winning and losing.

Hartley manager Anthony Millerick said: "Firstly Swindon Supermarine are a good side. I felt we were pushing up too far to get the winner only to concede a very soft winning goal.

"In very tight matches like this one then it came down to individual errors. We were on top for most of the match. "However we have got to score during these periods otherwise it is always going to be difficult. I felt we rallied well after conceding the first goal. Today was a learning curve and we must get over the loss and improve throughout the season."

This Saturday, Hartley are at home to Harrow Borough, who have won their opening two games.