HARTLEY Wintney returned from Wimborne Town with a point on the opening day of the Southern League Premier South campaign

However on balance of play the Row will feel it was two points lost rather than one point gained.

The match was never going to be a classic with a fierce wind blowing straight down the pitch. Hartley had the advantage of the wind in the first half and exerted a lot of early pressure. The first chance came on 12 minutes when a good move down the left saw Mitch Parker release Tom Bird on the overlap. The full backs cross was smothered clear by the Magpies defence.

On 23 minutes the Row had a chance from a free kick on the left. Ty Smith saw his strong shot well held by home keeper Cameron Plain.

A minute later the home side registered their first effort when Kieran Roberts tried a lob from distance which drifted wide. After 31 minutes the Magpies had a chance from a free kick some 25 yards out. The well struck shot from Kieran Roberts produced a good save from Hartley debutant keeper Tom Williams.

Play switched to the other end and a minute later a cross from Mitch Parker saw Dean Rule just squeezed out.

Although the Row dominated most of the proceedings it was the Magpies who almost took the lead on 37 minutes. A free kick into the box dropped in amongst a sea of bodies. Luke Holmes tried and overhead kick which was pawed out by Williams and the follow ups were blocked.

The second half saw the home side with the advantage of the considerable wind.

However it was Hartley who had a good chance to open the scoring in the 46th minute. A cross from the left by Tom Bird eluded the Magpies defence a found Nathan Smart in front of goal.

The Row skipper was unable to adjust his feet and the chance was lost.

On 53 minutes with Hartley pressing Dean Rule found himself with a chance from a difficult angle. Plain was quickly out and the young Hartley striker shot into the side netting while taking a knock from Plain.

Play became very physical as the half wore on. Tayo Adelayo replaced Rule and his strong running started to cause the Magpies defence problems.

On 80 minutes a free kick from Ty Smith was not properly cleared. Parker set up Shane Hollomby who saw his effort saved by Plain. A minute later a good break down the middle by the Magpies saw Tony Lee strike on goal. The Row were relieved to see a deflection and the ball go wide.

Into added time and the three minutes saw two chances for Hartley. Adelayo created space and his cross found Smart who shot just over. One minute later a Josh Webb free kick was headed wide by Adelayo.

On Tuesday night, Hartley have their first home league game of the season when Swindon Supermarine are the visitors.