James Vince top scored for England, but Liam Dawson was injured as Australia won the World Cup warm-up by 12 runs at The Ageas Bowl.

Dawson had Usman Khawaja stumped for 31 by Jos Buttler before finishing with 1-50 from his nine overs as Australia made 297-9 from their 50 overs.

Vince contributed a 76-ball 64 (five fours) but Hampshire teammate Dawson did not bat after splitting the skin on his right ring finger.

Basingstoke Gazette:

Liam Dawson

Buttler gave England hope of a morale-boosting win.

His arrival changed the tone dramatically, with the stand-in captain turning the tables on the Australian attack.

Buttler helped himself to 24 runs in the 27th over, taking Coulter-Nile for three boundaries and two mighty sixes. That left England 159 for three, with Buttler racing past Vince’s score despite facing half as many balls.

Buttler had taken 30 runs in eight Coulter-Nile deliveries and seemed in unimpeachable form until the ninth.

That is when his hitherto wonderful timing deserted him and a gentle leading edge sailed into the hands of Khawaja.

His 30-ball half-century breathed life into the pursuit but left plenty still to do. Vince was the set batsman but could not finish the job, guiding Behrendorff to short third man.

Earlier, Steve Smith was given a predictably-frosty welcome before scoring a match-winning century.

Smith and team-mate David Warner were both taking on their old Ashes rivals for the first time since their year-long ball-tampering bans expired, and - although both men were barracked on their way to the crease - the former was seemingly oblivious as he made an accomplished 116.

While the jeers and accompanying chants of 'cheat' were to be expected, Smith may have been surprised to notice both his fifty and his century marked by generous applause from the more moderate members of the 11,500 in attendance.

None of England's batsmen were able to match his class as they were dismissed for 285 and, although the match goes down as little more than a friendly, they surrendered an undefeated run of seven matches since the start of the summer.

That will not concern the hosts half as much as an injury to Mark Wood though, the seamer struck down with a left foot injury that required scans just 24 hours after captain Eoin Morgan fractured a finger.

Wood began brightly for England, serving notice of his express pace before hitting the jackpot with a slower ball that Aaron Finch lobbed to mid-on.

Wood was off the field soon after, as was his substitute Jofra Archer. He lasted less than an over before heading off in apparent discomfort, though he re-emerged after a break and was later added into the batting line-up.

As the game entered its last 10 overs, England still needed 61 - a feat that proved too tricky for the tail end.

Five of the lower order lost their wickets in the nervy denouement, bested by strong death bowling, with Chris Woakes 40 not enough to carry the day.