BASINGSTOKE Town suffered another heartbreak on the road, as they fought their way back from two goals down, only to lose 3-2 at Poole Town.

The visitors welcomed back Tom McGill in goal and Jim Orvis replaced suspended Adam Everiss in defence.

It was the Dragons who had the first chance of the game after 11 minutes, from a short free-kick, which saw Harry Pearse’s shot hit the post.

After this the Dolphins took control for most of the rest of the opening 45 minutes.

They were awarded a penalty on 13 minutes, after Marvin Brooks was fouled in the box, but James Constable put the spot kick wide.

The home side then went close from a corner after Brooks’ header was cleared off the line.

They took the lead on the half hour mark from Luke Roberts, who got on the end of a great pass from Jamie Whisken.

Poole should have doubled their lead soon after, but Whisken fired over from Will Spetch’s header.

The home goalkeeper Luke Cairney was then called into action to deny Dean Stow from distance.

Poole then made it 2-0 after good work from Roberts, set-up Constable and he made amends for his penalty miss.

The Dragons made two changes for the start of the second half, as new signing Reece Rusher and Shane Hollamby back from injury replaced Sam Smart and Harry Pearse.

It proved to be a master stroke, as just before the hour mark Rusher was able to run down the right wing before slotting home a debut goal for the visitors.

The home side should have restored their two-goal advantage two minutes later, but Constable fired over after good play from Tyrique Clarke and Jez Bedford.

The Dragons made Poole pay for the miss and levelled things on 73 minutes, as Sam Argent was able to lob the home goalie.

At this point it looked like Basingstoke had salvaged a very important point in their quest to avoid relegation.

However, it was not to be as on 79 minutes, Clarke pulled the ball back for fellow sub James Boote to score the winner.

The visitors looked for an equaliser with Sam Deadfield going closest late on.

Basingstoke’s latest loss away from home saw them slip to 18th in the table, three points clear of the drop zone, with three games to play.

The first two are over Easter, with a visit from relegated Frome on Saturday, followed by a Hampshire derby clash at Farnborough on Easter Monday.