BASINGSTOKE Hockey Club Ladies sponsored by KJ Smith solicitors, drew 2-2 in their match against Teddington.

Teddington capitalised on a penalty corner with a well disguised shot to take the initial lead, followed by a penalty corner, which resulted in high flick goal, this meant Teddington led 2-0.

Basingstoke found it difficult to break down the opposition’s defence, however they remained resolute and continued to work hard. Improved team interplay from Basingstoke led to their first goal, with Claire Bowman scoring from close range.

Basingstoke continued to improve throughout the match, utilising their space more effectively.

Penalty corners continued to be instrumental in this match, and this time, it was Basingstoke who equalised through Kirsty Kent.

Basingstoke looked strong in the final phase of the game, with a several opportunities to take all three points, but were denied by some excellent saves from the Teddington goalkeeper and defenders.

All in all, a good recovery after a wobbly first half.

This was another crucial match for the thirds against Portsmouth and Southsea in the battle to avoid being in the bottom five of Division Two.

The game started auspiciously with Portsmouth and Southsea running rings round Basingstoke and taking an early lead.

The thirds fought back, with Nicola Burridge equalising just before half-time.

In the second half, Basingstoke were still struggling to attack with their usual pace and fluency, with Portsmouth and Southsea forcing a succession of penalty corners which the defence managed to hold out.

Basingstoke set up a fast break involving five players from which Tania Bridge scored a diving deflection at the near post.

From this winning position the thirds used all their experience to see out the game and get a valuable three points and winning 2-1.

The fifths continued with their winning ways with a 3-1 win against Trojans 5s.

Not the easiest of opponents, this was always going be a hard game against a team with an aggressive style of play.

However, the fifths had prepared themselves, and came out guns blazing, taking an early lead through the experienced Sue Pett.

In the closing stages of first half, captain, Karen Binney managed to take Basingstoke’s lead up to 2-0 though a well-executed penalty shot.

In the second half, Louisa Kenwood’s well executed strike found the back of the net, and the fifths were leading 3-0.

Trojans were not giving up, setting up occasional breaks, with one break paying off in the form of a consolation goal in the final minutes of the game.

The ladies sixths took on Fareham for this week’s home fixture.

The game started with Fareham showing they meant business, breaking Basingstoke’s defence in the early stages of the game to take a 1-0 lead. Basingstoke’s resilience paid off, as they fought back, levelling the score through Emily Romaine.

With Lyn Wood’s decisive touch minutes later, giving Basingstoke the lead.

In the second half, the sixths picked up the pace, passing the ball from one side of the pitch to the other, resulting in Emily Romaine’s second goal. Hungry for more goals, Basingstoke’s Toyah Jefferies found herself one-on-one with the goalkeeper, calmly slotting the ball into the bottom corner, and the game concluding with a well-deserved 4-1 win.

In other ladies matches this week, saw the seconds lose 2-1 against New Forest, while the fourths won 3-0 in their match against Portsmouth and Southsea.

In a hard-fought game, the ladies sevenths lost 1-0 defeat against Aldershot & Farnham.

The under-14 girls drew 3-3 with only ten players in their away game against Andover.

Megan Payne managing to score two of Basingstoke’s goals, with the other goal coming from Charlotte Du Boulay.

In the men’s games this week, the men’s first team drew 4-4 against Haslemere, while the men’s 2 lost 3-2 against Southampton.

The thirds won 5-2 against Gillingham. The men’s fourths drew 1-1 against Fareham. The sixth team lost 8-0 against Petersfield and the under 16 boys lost 9-1 in their match against Haslemere.

The men's fifths travelled away to Yateley fifths this week, with only a squad of nine. After a superb

defensive team display, yet still managing to create some good chances on the break, they, eventually came away with a hard earned and well deserved 0-0 draw.

The under-14 boys hosted Yateley, taking an early goal with a beautiful penalty corner strike from Paul Lovelock.

Basingstoke’s defence soaked up the pressure applied by Yateley, but ended up conceding two quick goals.

The boys responded and with some great passing and Paul Lovelock levelling the score.

Yateley applied more pressure and were fortunate to get a third goal.

The under 14s responded with Dylan Brockbank levelling the score to 3-3. However, Yateley managed to score in the last minutes of the game to win 4-3.