ADAM Harding scored his first ever Basingstoke Bison hat-trick to help the Herd to a thrilling 5-4 overtime victory again the Bracknell Bees at the Hive last night.

The home side welcomed back former Bison pair Joe Baird and Brendan Baird to bolster their defence and took the lead in the contest as Zack Milton netted Roman Malinik's rebound.

The visitors hit back as as great pass from Bison man of the match Adam Harding found Alex Sampford to equalise.

Then in the space of six seconds of a very physical contest, the Herd's Danny Ingoldsby and Bracknell's Josh Marton both took 2+10 penalties for checking to the head.

As the period came to a close the Bison were given a powerplay and Harding netted to the delight of a big travelling contingent to make it 2-1 at the first break.

The Bees levelled things up after the interval as their man of the match Tyler Vankleef scored from close range.

Another Bison powerplay saw Klejna go close and then the Herd took the lead again as Harding scored at 31:32

Within a minute the Bees replied as Vankleef fired into the roof of the net.

Referee Paul Brooks continued his love of a 2+10 penalties as Tait received the third one of the night at 37:47 and at the same time Klejna joined him in the sin bin, but a superb penalty kill saw the sides go in at the second break still level at 3-3.

The Bees were the first to strike in the final session as Adam Doughty netted to give them the lead for the first time in the contest.

Soon after, Shaun Thompson tried to double the advantage as he broke away, but Alex Mettam denied him.

The Herd's Hallam Wilson then went close, before a mass of penalties at 57:55, mostly to the Bison.

George Norcliffe picked up 2+10 for boarding, Klejna a 10 minute misconduct, Tom Ralph also picked up a 10 minute misconduct and a game for abuse of official, while Joe Baird for Bracknell picked up a 10 minute for unsportsmanlike.

As the game entered the final minute, the Bison pulled their netminder and Russ Cowley tied the game with 42 seconds left with a shorthanded strike.

So for the second night running the game went into overtime, but this time the Herd won it before the shoot-out as Cowley blocked a Malinik shot and Harding raced away with the puck and buried it for the winner at 61:29.

On Wednesday night, the Herd will be out to reverse a one goal deficit in the South Cup final at Peterborough and lift their first piece of silverware for the season.