BASINGSTOKE Town were unable to build on their excellent win at Weymouth, as they lost at home to visiting high flyers Salisbury 2-0 on Tuesday night.

The home side welcomed back captain Charlie Kennedy into their ranks from injury, but unfortunately he did not last the game limping off with 18 minutes left in the contest.

Town already minus the injured Shane Hollamby lost another centre half within 10 minutes of the game starting as Jack Wakely departed after a tooth came loose in a challenge.

The home side started the first half playing with the wind and with the rain at their backs had the first chance after six minutes, as Harry Pearse found Sam Smart, but his shot was blocked by Elliott Wheeler.

On 20 minutes a lovely cross field ball from Kennedy found Rob Gerrard wide on the left and his cross was so nearly put in by Pearse.

As this point, Salisbury had not troubled the home goalie Tom McGill, but this was all to change and four minutes later they took the lead.

Bouwe Bosma was the first to test McGill with a stinging shot and then Jack Sparkes had a shot.

The Whites came even closer when Whelan released Sparkes and his shot on the angle forced McGill into a good save.

The visitors then scored the opening goal of the contest, as Whelan fired home with a low shot after Bosma's shot had been blocked by Kennedy.

Salisbury then had a big shout for a penalty for handball against Town's Dean Stow which was not given.

The home side replied as McGill's long ball found Gerrard down the left again and this time his cross was put into the net by Sam Argent, but the striker was offside so the goal was ruled out.

Town then had their own claims for a penalty as Smart was bundled down in the box by Claudio Herbert.

After the interval, Salisbury had the first chance as Luke Hopper took the ball off Stow, but his tame shot was easily saved by McGill.

On the 50 minute mark, Hopper so nearly made it 2-0 as he connected with a cross from Sparkes, but the ball came back off the post.

The home side hit back as Argent finds Pearse, but his shot across the box is deflected out for a corner and then just after the hour mark as Argent is just unable to get on the end of a hanging cross from Pearse.

Salisbury's Lewis Benson then won a corner and from this and couple of headers Aaron Dawson volleyed home to make it 2-0 on 66 minutes.

The home side were now have a mountain to climb, but an under hit pass from Herbert to Ben Morgan, nearly allowed Smart in, but Wheeler made a great block.

Basingstoke were able to carve out a couple more chances in the final 10 minutes with Pearse's shot being easily saved by Jake Hallett and Gerrard on the volley fired wide as Salisbury were happy to see the game out and take the three points.

This Saturday, Town have a massive game as they take on bottom side Staines at the Camrose.