WHITCHURCH United beat the weather and Fawley 3-2 to make it two wins on the bounce in the Wessex League Division One.

Visiting Whitchurch took the lead in the fourth minute when Liam Stone played the ball inside from the right and Nathan Gray struck a low turning effort that deflected into the net.

The visitors started well and almost added to their lead when Ryan Long seized on some hesitant Fawley defending and fired just past the post.

A Steven Green corner for the Oilers found Declan Hartigan at the far post but his header was saved low by visiting goalkeeper Josh Cotton.

Whitchurch doubled their lead on the half hour mark as home defender Reece Macey headed the ball out but into the path of Long who fired home low from the edge of the area.

Fawley’s pulled themselves back into contest in first half stoppage time when a poor defensive header put the ball into the path of Zac Willis to score from 20-yards out.

The home side applied some pressure early in the second half and they were almost rewarded when Ben Rankin got behind a Whitchurch defender but his shot was saved by Cotton to concede a corner.

A good run by Dan Munday was halted by a trip outside the box. Fawley's free-kick expert Steven Green took it and scored on 57 minutes.

Fawley were then reduced to 10 men with 24 minutes left, when Hartigan was shown a second yellow card following a foul.

The Jam Boys almost went back in front when Stone’s left-wing cross just failed to locate Gray in the middle, but it came to Aaron Randall whose firm effort rebounded off the bar on 72 minutes.

Following a dispute about a throw taken just in the wrong half of the field which meant it became a Whitchurch one, the ball was pumped deep into the Fawley box from the left of midfield where Harry Butler popped up on the right-hand side of the box to rifle in the winner on 79 minutes.

Manager Glyn Cherrett said: "They are well organised side, but I am very pleased with the result it was another good team performance."

Whitchurch this Saturday travel to Laverstock, who they beat 2-0 a fortnight ago and then on Monday night they entertain Kingsclere in the Andover Open Cup quarter-final clash.