BASINGSTOKE Town booked a home third round showdown with local rivals Hartley Wintney in the Southern League Cup after beating visiting Walton Casuals 2-1 on Tuesday night.

This was the third win on the trot for new Town manager Martin Kuhl and in the end the home side deserved it.

The visitors opened the better with James Ewington looking very lively up front and Walton tried to hit him at every opportunity with long balls.

Town’s first chance came in the 12th minute from the head of Zidane Akers from Sam Smart’s cross, after he was found by an excellent ball from Sam Deadfield.

On 16 minutes, Dan Collier volleyed just over and then Deadfield had a shot was tipped over Denzel Gerrer.

The home side were now on top now and were gifted the lead on 33 minutes, as Walton goalkeeper Gerrar attempting to clear the ball it was blocked by Ben Wright and the striker was left to head the ball into an empty net.

After this the visitors got back into the contest, but Town should have made it 2-0 after Akers stole the ball from Max Ellison-Hustwick and ran into the area. The winger looked set to score, but instead his shot went wide of the target.

Colm McAdden then produced a great save with his feet, to deny Ewington an equaliser three minutes before the break.

At half-time the home side switched strikers with Wright being replaced Sam Argent, which was agreed before the game.

Argent so nearly doubled the lead on 50 minutes from a delightful ball from Smart to the far post.

Eight minutes later, Walton equalised after Harry Mills latched onto a nice through ball in box.

Then just after the hour mark, McAdden made another good stop to deny the lively Tauream Roberts.

Soon after, Town made a switch as Harry Philby came on for Akers. He slotted into the back four, which allowed captain Charlie Kennedy to move back into midfield from centre back.

On 73 minutes, Kennedy fed Smart and he rifled a low shot straight off the post and Walton went straight up the other end and Ewington's effort went nearly as close.

Just two minutes later, Town scored the winner as Argent found Smart, his shot was saved, but Argent hammered home the rebound into the roof of the net.

After this the closest Walton came to sending the game to a penalty shoot-out, was when Mills' free-kick in the final minute flew across the face of the goal.

Town are back in league action on Saturday, with a trip to Swindon Supermarine.