BASINGSTOKE Town booked their place in the last eight of the Hampshire Senior Cup with a 3-1 victory at Hartley Wintney on Tuesday night.

It was quick revenge for the Dragons having lost a league clash seven days earlier at the Camrose by the same scoreline.

The main difference in the second game was the return of Sam Smart to the Town line-up and he proved to be a thorn in the Row's side all night.

The home side who dominated last week's encounter never really got out of the blocks in the first 45 minutes and Hartley goalkeeper Adam Debois found the conditions at his end of the pitch very testing in the pouring rain.

Smart's lightning quick pace and tricky soon started to create chances and he forced Debois into an early save.

Town then took the lead on 21 minutes, when a Sam Deadfield corner was only punch away as far as Dan Bayliss, who was able to find Ben Wright and on the turn his effort hit the net.

This kicked started the home side into action and Josh Webb, Hartley's best player on the night was able to carve a chance for Ross Cook, but Bayliss made the block.

The Row's Rowan Vine then tested Colm McAdden from distance, before Smart forced Debois into a great save with his legs.

However, Town were to double their lead on 34 minutes, as a header from Ben Wright in the centre circle released Smart down the right wing and his cross was converted former Hartley star striker Sam Argent.

The second 45 minutes was a lot more even affair.

Smart created another chance which saw Sam Deadfield's effort tipped over by Debois.

Hartley then made it 2-1 with a super team goal. The ball was worked to Steven Duff and he fed Tyron Smith on the edge of the area. The captain then slide the ball to Ross Cook and he found Romario Hart.

However, Town took just three minutes to reply as Smart found Argent, his shot was blocked and Wright converted the rebound.

Four minutes later, Hartley nearly got a second, as Webb's free-kick to the back post saw Jack Ball head just over.

Then with three minutes left, Debois produced a great one handed save to deny Zidane Akers.

A delighted Town boss Martin Kuhl said: "I felt we came and stood toe to toe with them in their own barn and a great win for us."

Hartley's joint manager Anthony Millerick said: "Of course we are disappointed, but we were very negative in the first half and allowed them the chance to play.

"Steve Noakes, Tyrone Smith and Steven Duff are coning back from injury so it proved a good exercise. We have a 10 day break now and I hope to make a couple of additions to the squad."

Hartley are next in action at home to Taunton on December 15, while Town this Saturday entertain Hendon at the Camrose.