CHESHAM United continued their recent good form with a win over mid table Hartley Wintney.

With heavy rain in the morning the Row ground staff worked hard to get the fixture on.

The Row had the first opportunity from a free kick awarded 25 yards out. Josh Webb’s effort went just over the crossbar.

Hartley took the lead on five minutes, Dan Stewart and Romario Hart forced their way through the Generals defence and the latter’s parting shot was parried by Chesham goalkeeper Ben Goode only to see the rebound hit Marley Ridge on the chest and rebounded into the net.

Chesham responded well and gradually gained an edge helped by the strong running of front pair, Jefferson Louis and Eoin Casey.

After nine minutes a cross from the left by Dave Pearce found Eoin Casey who fed Jefferson Louis whose shot was held by Adam Desbois.

Two minutes later a dangerous cross from the left by Pearce had Desbois scrambling and the young keeper did well to push away to safety.

On 24 minutes a long free kick found Casey in a good position within the Row penalty box. However, the Row defenders reacted quickly and smothered the danger out. On 35 minutes some loose play by the Row in midfield enabled Ryan Blake to get in behind the defence but the parting shot went into the side netting.

The visitors pulled level on 37 minutes. A corner was partly cleared and a return ball into the area found Steve Brown who squared to Casey who shot home from close range.

The Generals continued in the ascendancy and on the stroke of half time took the lead. A short spell of pressure saw two efforts from Casey blocked before Dave Pearce managed to scramble the ball home.

Hartley had an early chance to pull level when Josh Webb got free on the right side after a one two with Romario Hart. The midfielder was unlucky to see his parting shot go just wide across the face of the goal.

On 51 minutes a corner from Dave Pearce found the head of Casey and Adam Desbois in the Row goal pulled off a good save. Four minutes later the young Row keeper produced an excellent point blank stop from Pearce.

The Row’s chances of a comeback received a setback; when a rash double footed challenge from Romario Hart earned a straight red card.

Despite the man disadvantage the Row pressed for the equaliser but were unable to make too much impression on a resolute Generals defence.

On 78 minutes a good run down the right by Jacques Kpohomouh saw his cross find Jack Ball who shot over. Chesham held on to claim the points which they just about deserved.

Next for Hartley is a home Hampshire Senior Cup third round tie on Tuesday night against visiting Basingstoke Town.