HARTLEY Wintney made the short journey to Basingstoke Town looking for a first win since late September in the league.

For Basingstoke Town this was the first local league derby since Easter 1971 when they played Thorneycrofts.

Initial play was scrappy but the game came to life on six minutes with a goal from Hartley.

Loose defensive play around the right side of the Town penalty box saw Romario Hart gain possession and he scored with a low shot past Colm McAdden in the Basingstoke goal.

Basingstoke responded well and good inter passing in midfield gave Ben Wright a chance which he fired over from the edge of the box. A minute later the Row defence were all at sea when a long clearance found Sam Argent in the clear with a one on one with Row keeper Adam Desbois. The young Hartley keeper pulled off a good save from Argent’s shot.

In another minute play moved to the other end and a fluent move down the left ended with a Nic Ciardini shot being deflected over the bar.

Chances were coming thick and fast and in another minute Sam Argent made good progress down the right and his cross saw Ben Wright’s effort blocked. Then it was Hartley’s turn. A long free kick from Josh Webb almost found the head of Jack Ball as the ball just eluded the back post.

On seventeen minutes a crisp move by Hartley saw a good cross from Louie Paget which Nic Ciardini just missed at the back post. Ross Cook was soon to come on for Ciardini who picked up an injury.

Basingstoke pulled level on 29 minutes. They gained possession on the left and a clever turn from Ben Wright gave himself a shooting chance. Desbois managed to parry the shot but the ball spun across the goal and Sam Deadfield managed to squeeze his shot home at the back post.

It almost got better for Town a minute later when a good build up saw Jack Mcknight fire in a shot which went just over the crossbar.

The Row managed to get an edge in the latter part of the half but without creating a clear opening. However on 44 minutes a good move down the left involving several players gave Rowan Vine a chance which he fired wildly over.

Town started the half on the front foot and some good play on the right saw a cross which enabled Ben Wright and Jack McKnight combine to set up Sam Argent. Desbois was quickly off his line and just managed to deflect the former Row strikers effort wide.

The Row started to take a firm grip on the game and it was no surprise when they took the lead on 58 minutes.

Town had chances to clear but a miscue gave the Row the chance and Ross Cook turned and fired home.

Four minutes later, the dangerous Cook almost added another but fired wide after a good Hartley move.

Basingstoke came into the game approaching the mid point of the second half and on 66 minutes a corner from McKnight saw a header pushed over by Desbois.

On 76 minutes after being on top for a spell the Row clinched the match with an excellent goal.

Good play down the right saw a cross field ball to Louie Paget. The young defender took aim and fired in an unstoppable shot from around 25 yards.

Basingstoke finished strongly and a dangerous corner resulted in an effort from Argent which was blocked.

The final whistle confirmed a deserved win for the Row after a sparkling performance. Basingstoke were good in parts; especially in midfield; but overall seemed to struggle with the desire of the villagers.

Basingstoke face a trip to King's Langley on Saturday and Hartley are at home to Chesham.

The sides then clash again on Tuesday at Hartley, in the third round of the Hampshire Senior Cup.