TWO unbeaten teams in their respective leagues came together to contest the second round of the RFU Junior Vase.

Basingstoke missing a number of their first XV regulars slipped to a 32 – 19 defeat against Reeds Weybridge.

In wet conditions, both teams tried, and succeeded at times, to play some very good rugby – although with differing approaches to the game as Basingstoke’s forwards dominated the game against Reeds backs.

The visitors were in front within the first 15 minutes but the wet conditions meant the try was not converted.

Stoke came back strongly and phase after phase of pick and go eventually bought a penalty which resulted in a Reeds prop spending ten minutes in the bin.

From the resulting play, good hands in the backs created space for Jamie Prior to score. The try was converted to put Basingstoke ahead after 25 mins.

A familiar story then unfolded with Reeds having possession in their own half - their young winger setting off on a mazy run breaking tackles and eventually scoring under the posts to restore the visitor’s lead.

Again Stoke came back strongly – dominating in the forwards and driving into Reeds territory, eventually again conceding a penalty which Simon Appleby took quickly, although not making the line. But a couple of recycled phases later, Leon Williams managed to sneak through a gap in the defence and score close to the posts, with the try converted.

Straight from the kick-off Stoke ran back at the Reeds defence, Appleby making a great break through their centres and off-loading to Joe Bisset to score, but the conversion was missed, leaving the score 19 – 12 at half-time.

Although starting off strongly in the second half with the forwards putting a massive effort in at the breakdown , Reeds had learnt and changed tactics after half-time quickly moving the ball away from the breakdown and the Stoke forwards whenever they could. This led to a penalty, with a sin bin to Tom Johnson, and a try to give them a 22 – 19 lead with 20 minutes left of the half.

Unfortunately Stoke couldn’t get the next score and a further penalty, and a hat-trick try for their young winger gave the score-line of 32 – 19 to Reeds.

Basingstoke will be looking to bounce back straight away as they make an away trip to Eastleigh II on Saturday, 17 November.