BASINGSTOKE Hockey Men enjoyed a thrilling 4-2 at home against Croydon and Old Whitgiftians as Grant Rouse, Graham Lang, Dean Record and Phil Stewart all scored.

The seconds travelled to Hamble knowing they were in for a challenge.

With the hosts unbeaten after four games all signs pointed towards a frustrating away day for the reds.

The game started with Basingstoke looking for a way into the game, with several attempts at goal amounting to nothing.

Half time was signalled with the score at 0-0 which was disappointing for Basingstoke, and a shock for Hamble who realised the game was not going to be an easy win.

The second half started with Hamble being the more dominant force and looking to take an early lead.

However, it was Basingstoke who took the 1-0 lead thanks to a goal from Andy Goddard finding the back of the net.

Hamble finally found a breakthrough ten minutes before the game ended.

Basingstoke kept pushing and their well-deserved second goal came from a well-executed short corner.

Basingstoke had three points in the bag and their first win of 2-1 for the season.

The thirds were by far the better and stronger team in a 6-0 win against Southampton.

With Ben Shaughnessy securing three goals, with two goals coming from Kyle McFee and the final one coming from Sam Payne.

The fourth team had a tough game against Southampton University IV losing 2-1, with Basingstoke’s goal coming from Euan Rixson.

The fifths played Fleet and Ewshott in a hard-fought game, where Basingstoke were up 3-0 thanks to two goals from Ross Cavalier and one from Steve Baron, before a late fight back from Fleet and Ewshott that saw them score two goals in the latter stages of the game.

However, Basingstoke clung on to win 3-2.

The sixth team took an early lead against Yateley Flames courtesy of Mark Godfrey.

Yateley quickly took the lead with a short corner just before the half-time whistle, with the first half concluding with Yateley leading 2-1.

In the second half Basingstoke regrouped and came back fighting.

The game ended with a 3-2 win thanks to two great goals from Nick Dudman.

The under-14 boys lost 7-3 against Fleet and Ewshot.

The game allowed them to not only score their first goal, but scoring three goals in total, which to them was a big achievement.

The Ladies first team sponsored by KJS Solicitors travelled to Maidenhead full of confidence, but also mindful that Maidenhead desperately needed points.

In the first half Maidenhead had some good spells of possession, however it was Roxy O'Dea that opened the scoring with a well-executed penalty corner from Basingstoke.

There were some patches of excellent team interplay which tore open the Maidenhead defence. Claire Bowman and Fi Parker both scored from close range, to extend the lead to three.

Maidenhead kept working hard and were rewarded with a goal before half time.

In the second half Basingstoke continued with great attacking play but could not extend their lead. Maidenhead were awarded a controversial penalty corner, which they scored.

Another penalty corner gave Basingstoke’s captain Catriona Bauser their fourth goal and sealed the result with a resounding 4-2 win.

This win sees the ladies continue to move up the South One league table into third position.

The seconds had a tough game against top of the league Winchester.

Basingstoke defended well in the first half hitting Winchester on the break but couldn't capitalise, with the score remaining 0-0 at half time. Basingstoke continued to defend well in the second half.

With goalkeeper Elle Smith making some excellent saves, however Winchester broke the deadlock with ten minutes to go and were eventual 2-0 winners.

The thirds took their time to warm up into their division two match against Alton.

Once the 3s got going, the ladies played some of their best passing hockey of the season.

There were few chances in this evenly matched game and it took a penalty corner from Nicola Bamforth, hitting the roof of the net, to break the deadlock in the second half.

The game remained tight and the thirds were unlucky that a deflected shot crept in at the post to make the final score 1-1.

The fourth team won 4-2 against Winchester with goals coming from, Ulrike Mayer, Beth Flintoff, Bex Donaldson and Amy Sambal.

The fifths played against Portsmouth II, who on paper were the stronger team.

However, this was not reflected in the 5-0 thumping they got from the fifth team, who had the upper hand from start to finish.

Lyn Wood scored her first hat-trick, with the other two goals coming from Sue Pett.

The sixth team looked impressive as they beat Fleet and Ewshot III 6-0 with an outstanding team performance.

Megan Payne scored a hat-trick with other goals coming from Luci McCallum, Izzy Hussey and Katie Thomson.

With a slightly new team, the seventh team found it hard going against a strong Alton III side.

At the end of the first half the game was tied at 1-1 with Basingstoke’s only goal coming from Kerry Barker.

In the second half the ladies played hard and tried to keep Alton at bay through great defensive play. Alton finally broke the deadlock and the game concluded with a 3-1 loss.

The Ladies under 14s were up against Camberley and Farnborough in a thrilling game which ended 0-0.

Camberley and Farnborough tried to break through Basingstoke’s defence to no avail as Basingstoke held their ground.

There was great end-to-end play with both sides pressing hard, but no goals were conceded by either side, an exciting game nonetheless.