HARTLEY Wintney will have to try again on Tuesday night in Tiverton to book their place in the second qualifying round of the FA Trophy after a 1-1 draw on Saturday.

Both sides had early spells of pressure but no clear cut chances were created. 

After 13 minutes some indecision in the Row defence saw the visitors almost break through but a few last ditch tackles saved the day.

Three minutes later, the first effort on target arrived when Tom Bath’s shot was saved by Adam Desbois in the Hartley goal.

On 26 minutes, after a spell of Row pressure a corner on the right from Josh Webb found the head of Nathan Smart who at full stretch could not direct his effort on goal.

Then the Row were very unlucky not to take the lead on 31 minutes.

A good flowing move saw Mikey Campbell set up Jack French coming in from the right.

The midfielder’s fierce shot crashed off the crossbar with Tivvy goalkeeper Liam Armstrong well beaten.

At the other end three minutes later, Levi Landicombe found space on the right and his cross found the tall Bath who saw his header saved by Desbois.

Tiverton started the second half well and on 56 minutes, Jordan Rogers fed Levi Landricombe who saw his well struck shot well saved by Desbois. 

Two minutes later, a long shot from Rogers saw Desbois make a spectacular catch. 

Hartley went ahead on 64 minutes.

A headed flick on from Ross Rook sent Mikey Campbell free down the middle and the striker scored with a strong shot from the edge of the box

The Row lead lasted just four minutes.

A long free kick from Jamie Price was headed on by Mike Landriscombe and Nick Hurst nodded home from close range.

After 72 minutes a spell of Tivvy pressure saw a corner from Hurst create a scramble in the Hartley goal and the Row managed to scramble the ball clear from almost on the goal line.

Desbois pulled off a great stop on 84 minutes after Hurst set Bath free.

The strikers fierce shot saw the young goalkeeper save at full stretch. 

Hartley finished very strongly and on 90 minutes a well worked move involving several players saw a low cross from Nick Hutchings missed narrowly by inrushing substitute Rowan Vine.

There was still time for Jack French to fire in a fierce shot from 20 yards which saw Armstrong well positioned to save.

A much-improved performance from Hartley Wintney after a few collywobbles in recent weeks.

A tough replay beckons on Tuesday night at a very useful looking Tiverton Town outfit.