BASINGSTOKE Town came back twice to beat visiting Wimborne Town 4-2 and book their place in the second qualifying round of the FA Trophy.

In a very entertaining game, the first 45 minutes proved to be a goal feast with five before the interval.

It was the Magpies who opened the scoring after 12 minutes, as Tobias Holmes was allowed time in the area and fired low into the net.

Eight minutes later, the home side levelled things as new signing from Reading City, Rob Gerrard sent a lovely ball down the left channel which Sam Argent ran onto.

The striker then beat the last defender, before slotting the ball past Wimborne goalkeeper Gerard Benfield.

A minute later, Basingstoke were awarded a corner, but a swift clearance saw Holmes sent clear and he made it 2-1 with only 22 minutes gone.

Soon after, the home fans felt their side should have had a penalty, after Sam Smart was sent flying in the box by James Stokoe, but nothing was given.

However, on 33 minutes, the home side equalised again.

Captain Charlie Kennedy stole the ball and fed Sam Deadfield, who in turn found Ben Wright to score.

Four minutes later and the Dragons roared into the lead, as great work by Wright set up Argent for his second and Basingstoke’s third to make it 3-2.

There was still time before the break for Curtis Young’s cross to hit the post, as he tried to find Holmes at the back post for his hat-trick.

If the first 45 minutes had been an even affair, the second half was not, as after Holmes hit the post in the opening two minutes, the home side dominated.

Wright, Deadfield and Smart all went close, before a great move from a surging Jack McKnight, saw him go past two players and then a cheeky back heel sent the ball into the path of Smart, whose shot hit the side netting.

The Dragons then made sure of their passage into the next round, as Argent’s through ball found McKnight to slot home.

Three minutes later, Wimborne had a rare chance which saw Holmes denied as Colm McAdden came out smartly to dive at his feet.

With six minutes left, the visitors were reduced to 10 men, when goalscorer Holmes felt he was fouled in the box by Shane Hollamby.

His outburst for not being given a penalty was heard by referee Barrie Small, who swiftly pulled out the red card out of his pocket.

After this, the home side nearly added a fifth goal in added on time, but McKnight’s shot hit Matty Oldring on the line.

After the game, Town manager Jason Bristow said: “The boys showed great character to come back twice and in the second half we could have scored a lot more.”

The victory means Basingstoke are in tomorrow’s draw for the next round and the game will be played on November 10.

Before this on Saturday, they return to league action, when league leaders Weymouth are the visitors.