THE Basingstoke Bison enjoyed an excellent 6-2 home victory over the Telford Tigers in the Autumn Cup, even though the visitors included the return of giant Canadian import Doug Clarkson to their line-up.

The Herd gave their first start of the season to netminder Dan Weller-Evans and he produced a super performance between the pipes, on his way to the man of the match award.

The shot stopper was quickly into action to save from Jason Silverthorn and then did likewise to deny Clarkson when in on goal.

At the other end of the rink, the Bison opened the scoring on their second powerplay of the evening, as the impressive Richard Bordowski laid the puck back to Tom Ralph and he squared it to Russ Cowley to fire home.

Telford tried to hit back and Weller-Evans made a great double save as he denied Rick Plant with both the initial shot and rebound.

Soon after, the Herd ran into penalty trouble and found themselves reduced to three skaters. Telford took full advantage as Clarkson produced a lethal top corner finish from the blue line.

The second session started well for the home side, as Bordowski and George Norcliffe both went close and then Michal Klejna stick handled his way into the slot, but Denis Bell kept him out.

The first powerplay of the middle period, saw the Herd take back the lead, as Adam Jones’ shot from the right wing deflected into the slot and Klejna poked home.

Just 13 second later, it became 3-1 as Cowley won a face-off in the Telford end zone which found Bordowski.

He fed Jay King who fired in from the blue line for his first ever Bison goal.

After this the home side looked to add to their tally.

Liam Morris was denied by a great glove save by Bell and then Sam Brooks’ shot came off the shoulder of Bell and fell just the wrong side of the post.

Telford then had a couple of chances, but Clarkson fired over and Plant’s shot only found the chest of Weller-Evans.

As the period came to a close the Tigers were reduced to three skaters and this carried over into the final session, but Telford killed off both penalties.

It was still anyone’s game, but Alex Sampford struck to make it 4-1 and then moments later, Telford’s Aaron Taylor forced the puck under Weller-Evans into the goal crease, but King was on hand to clear the danger.

However, the Tigers did pull a goal back from Clarkson with another lethal finish, this time with a low wrister.

A minute later, the Bison replied with the goal of the game.

Elliott Dewey released Bordowski down the right wing and his cross to the far post was swept home by Sampford for his second of the game at 50:59.

Telford tried to get back into the contest, with Weller-Evans producing a superb glove save to deny Silverthorn.

The home side then made sure of victory, as King scored his second of the night from the blue line and Bordowski picked up his fifth helper of the evening.

There was still time for the Herd’s Cam Buckle to nearly add a seventh goal, when found by Paul Petts, but Bell came up with the stop.

After the game coach Bison player/coach Ashley Tait said: “It was a good team performance this evening and I am very pleased with the win.”

This evening the Bison travel to Telford for their final Autumn Cup game this season.