BASINGSTOKE Town reduced to 10 men scored twice in added on time to secure an extraordinary 3-2 victory over visitors Wimborne Town.

The Dragons made just one change to the side which beat Paulton Rovers as Dan Collier came in for the injured Charlie Kennedy.

The visiting Magpies got off to a dream start in the contest, as they took the lead after four minutes.

The home side were caught by a counter attack and Louis Kellaway was able to thread the ball through to Jack Lovell to score.

After this the visitors looked the better side with their number 10 Luke Burbridge causing a number of problems and he so nearly headed in a cross from Kellaway to make it 2-0.

Basingstoke found it hard to create chances, even if Sam Smart did get the ball on the roof of the net.

This was after a poor pass out from goalkeeper Gerald Benfield found him and he lobbed the goalie from 35 yards out.

Then at the other end a mix up in the Basingstoke area, allowed Lovell to shoot at the goal, which Dan Bayliss was able to clear.

As the first 45 minutes entered its final throws, Sam Deadfield went close and then as on Tuesday night Zidane Akers opened the Dragons account.

The winger was found by a lovely ball from Smart and he rifled the ball low into the bottom of the net, just squeezing it in between goalkeeper and post.

This made the half-time score 1-1 and there was now all to play for.

The team exchanged chances after the interval, as both looked to try and take the lead.

The Magpies hopes of doing this was then boosted on 71 minutes, when Dean Stow was dismissed after he pulled back Curtis Young just outside the area.

Despite being down to 10 men, the home side looked the more likely to score as Deadfield went close.

Sub Shane Hollamby then produced a great last-ditch tackle and brilliant block to deny Wimborne.

With six minutes left, the home side were dealt a real cruel blow, as Young’s goal bound shot looped off the leg of Harry Philby and ended up in the net.

You would have thought that would have been the winner, but it proved not to be the case.

Basingstoke went looking for an equaliser and in added on time Smart’s corner saw Magpies’ captain Billy Maybury penalised for hand ball.

The Dragons were awarded a penalty, which sub Callum Bunting took.

The striker’s first effort was saved, but he made no mistake with the rebound to make it 2-2.

The drama was still not over as a minute later, Smart was allowed to run at the visitor’s defence and found Collier, who fired in the winner from 25 yards out.

The ground erupted, and all the players and management team ran onto the pitch to celebrate an extraordinary comeback.

After the game a reflective Basingstoke manager Jason Bristow said: “My main feeling is one of relief as we have got ourselves out of jail today. It was a character win, but once again we were not at our best especially our passing. So, it is a bit frustrating at the moment”

Basingstoke are back in action at home on Tuesday night, when Farnborough are the visitors for a Hampshire Senior Cup second round tie.

Captain Charlie Kennedy is expected to still miss this game due to injury.