HARTLEY Wintney staged an astonishing fight back to claim a point at Beaconsfield Town.

Approaching half time the Row trailed 3-0 and to add to their woes centre back Jack Ball was sent off.

However, the second half saw a recovery by Hartley with 10 players which earned them a well deserved point.

Beaconsfield were soon on the front foot and on seven minutes Dan Brown saw an effort go wide.

The opening goal arrived a minute later as The Rams made good progress down the left and Charlie Losasso’s cross saw a flick header from Alex Cathline found the net.

The home side threatened with every attack and Hartley struggled to create anything meaningful going forward.

It was no surprise that the Rams extended their lead on 16 minutes.

A low through ball down the middle found the Row defence all at sea. Cathline got to ball just before Row goalkeeper Stuart Norman who hauled him down. Charlie Lossaso took the spot kick and scored easily. (

Hartley’s first effort of note arrived on 25 minutes when Jake Baxter shot from the right took a deflection and Rams goalkeeper Ravan Constable had to be alert to save.

A minute later and Beaconsfield added a third with a slightly controversial goal.

Loose play at the back from the Row allowed a chance for Brendan Matthew who saw his effort crash off the underside of the crossbar.

Play carried on for a few seconds before referee Steven Rae blew his whistle.

To most in the ground’s surprise a goal was awarded; presumably the Matthew shot must have crossed the goal line.

A minute later the Row registered their best effort when a cross from the right by Ty Smith saw a good effort from Mikey Campbell saved by Constable.

On 43 minutes, a Josh Webb cross found the head of Mikey Campbell who saw his header bring out a good save from Constable.

Hartley’s miserable first half was completed in added time with Jack Ball being sent off.

The Row centre back jostled for a through ball with Cathline and referee Rae who was well placed adjudged that Ball had hauled him back.

The referee also felt that Ball was the last man and brandished a red card.

The resulting free-kick on the edge of the box from Losasso brought out a comfortable save from Norman.

Hartley re-adjusted at the beginning of the second half with Claudio Herbert being withdrawn and replaced with central defender Steve.Noakes.

The Row started well and Jake Baxter had an effort in the 46th minute which was blocked.

Despite playing with 10 men Hartley were gaining more possession and on 60 minutes a good move saw Ty Smith link up with Mikey Campbell who in turn set up Jack French who saw his effort from 20 yards saved.

Hartley continued to keep the ball better and probe the Rams defence.

On 69 minutes they got their reward. A good move down the right saw Nathan Smart combine with Mikey Campbell who set up Josh Webb.

The Row midfielder drilled in a low shot from 20 yards to reduce the deficit.

Four minutes later the Rams had a chance to clinch the game. Basram Bashaj went on a run from the half way line and rounded goalkeeper Norman. His parting shot from a difficult angle saw Liam Eagle get back and clear off the line.

The introduction of Ross Cook gave the Row extra edge and threatening. Cook set up Josh Webb for a shot on 77 minutes but the parting shot went wide.

The Row continued to probe and reduced the lead further on 85 minutes. A ball into the home penalty box saw a lot of players collide. Referee Rae’s whistle went and he pointed to the penalty spot. Captain Tyron Smith took the kick and scored.

On 87 minutes the Rams' Cathline went down in the penalty area when well placed. However referee Rae adjudged a dive and the Beaconsfield striker was booked.

Two minutes later and Hartley equalised. A long kick from Norman saw a deft flick by Nic Ciardini which set Ross Cook away.

The Hartley substitute held off his two markers and fired home a low shot from 18 yards.

There was still time for the Row to create a final chance to win the match.

A long throw from Steve Noakes resulted in a scramble in the home area which was eventually cleared.

A remarkable match with an amazing Jekyll and Hyde show from the Row.

They were as poor as they have been all season in the first half but dominant in the second half despite playing one player short.

Louis Paget probably played his best game for the club in the full back positions and throughout the 90 minutes.

Joint manager Anthony Millerick said: "This was a great point. The players showed a lot of character to recover like that.

"As poor as we were in the first half we were as good in the second half. I was just preparing my pep talk for half time when the sending off occurred. This meant a change to a pep talk plus arranging to play with 10 men."

He added: "At the end it felt like a win. We must carry on the way we played in the second half and keep momentum going at Weymouth on Saturday."

That game is in the league, while on Tuesday night the Row have a tricky away trip Southern League Division One side Winchester City in the Hampshire Senior Cup.