HOOK and Newnham Basics won a superb Finch Group Guy Jewell Cup over local rivals Basingstoke and North Hants at May's Bounty on Sunday.

However, if was former Hook man Ben Thane who nearly stole the show with a brilliant unbeaten 109, but in the end the Bountymen fell short of their 207 target as they finished on 189-9 in the T20 game.

Earlier in the game, Hook won the toss and elected to bat and Richard Willcock (26) and Jordan Hobday (17) got them off to a solid start.

Hobday was the first man out with the score on 36 and then Willock and Matt Buckingham added 42 for the second wicket.

With the demise of Willcock trapped leg before by Stokes, Matt Love came to centre and along with Buckingham the pair produced the match winning partnership as they moved the score to 154, before Love departed.

Buckingham, who excellent innings of 87 came to end seven runs later and it included nine fours and five big sixes.

Captain Josh Buckingham added 19 quick runs before he departed and then Rhodes Franklin took up the mantle with two sixes in the final over bowled by David Griffiths.

The former Hampshire man seemed powerless as he conceded 23 in his last over, as Franklin finished on 29 and Alex Brown six.

Hook's total of 206-5 meant Basingstoke needed 10 an over and Thane made sure they up with the run rate after the first six balls.

Basingstoke's first wicket fell at 27 as Chris Jolley (14) was out and then captain Stokes (16) and Thane got them above the run rate after five overs.

It was left to Franklin (3-33) to take out the middle order of Stokes, Joe Oates and Dan Belcher, the final two in the same over as they slide to 79-4.

Thane and Griffiths (11) then added 84 for the fifth wicket and home side looked in with a chance. Thane hitting a six to bring up his 50.

During this partnership, Anik Divecha, who battled on bowling despite a leg injury was replaced in the field by Joel Buckingham.

However, Griffiths was caught behind by Brown off the bowling of Rupert Armstrong.

Liam Shore (2-22) then got rid of Martyn James thanks to a Hobday catch and then Josh Buckingham won the magic moment award as he took a superb catch over his shoulder to dismiss Harry Smith.

Next in Lawrence Benge (10) hit a straight six off Willcock, who gained quick revenge as he clean bowled him in the same over.

The home side were left needing 32 off the final over, which they were unable to do, but Thane did compete his excellent century with a straight four, which was well received by the big crowd at the ground.

However, his knock was in all vain as Hook won the game and now will go for the double at the Ageas Bowl on September 16 in the Southern League T20 Cup final.

After the game, captain Josh Buckingham said: "It was a great all round performance and really pleased to win the trophy."

Club captain Matt Love was delighted with win and said: "We would like to dedicate this victory to Kevin Poulter, as he is mentioned at every team talk before every game."

Kevin a star of many Hook's Guy Jewell triumphs over the years. passed away just before this season started.

In the Cyril Thompson Trophy played at the same venue earlier in the day, Chawton were 13 run winners over Basingstoke Hockey.

Chawton batting first, recovered from 28-3 to 107-4 thanks to Jake Channon (46) and Mason Taylor (46) on their way to 155 as Charlie Lappin took 4-24.

Opener Josh Weir led the Basingstoke reply with 75, but they fell short of their total being all out for 142, as Channon took 3-24.

The batting award for the two competitions was won by Basingstoke Hockey's Josh Weir, while the bowling trophy went to Jake Channon.

Organiser Bill Blake said: "I would like to thank everyone involved in the competitions this year, as well as the groundsmen, scorers, umpires and also to the competition sponsors Finch Group and Fortem Financial Education for sponsoring the cricket balls."