HARTLEY Wintney progressed into the first FA Cup Qualifying Round after winning at a useful Baffins Milton Rovers side 4-1.

The Rovers were playing their first ever home FA Cup tie and the match was played In front of a good crowd of 181.

The Rovers held a slight edge in the early play with winger Fidel Seibou looking dangerous. On 24 minutes the home side took the lead when Jack Ball was short with a back pass. Tommy Leigh nipped in and forced the ball past Hartley goalkeeper Adam Desbois for the opener.

The Row then appeared to switch off the lethargic setting and turn on the urgency selection.

On 29 minutes Romario Hart made good progress down the right and found Jack French who fired his effort from 25 yards just past the post.

The Row continued to probe and equalised with a spectacular goal from Jack French in the 40th minute.

The midfielder received a pass in central midfield from Nic Ciardini and his shot from fully 30 yards sailed into the net.

On the stroke of half time Nic Ciardini paved the way for an effort by Mike Campbell who saw his effort saved by the well positioned Baffins goalkeeper Cameron Scott.

Hartley took a firm grip of the game in the early part of the second half with Jack French and Josh Webb influential.

On 48 minutes, Mike Campbell shot just over from a free-kick 25 yards out.

Seven minutes later, a long throw from Claudio Herbert was headed on by Jack Ball and the home defence did well to clear the danger in front of the goal.

The Row pressure mounted and on 57 minutes they were awarded a penalty when Ciardini was hauled down on the left side of the penalty area.

Mike Campbell scored from the spot. Rovers first effort of the half arrived on 63 minutes.

A free kick from Ashton Leigh found the head of Blu Boam who directed his effort wide. Fidel Sibou was causing the Row defence problems and only a last-ditch tackle from sub Jayden Englefield prevented him bursting through on goal on 65 minutes Hartley resumed on the attack and on 67 minutes increased their lead.

A long throw from Jayden Englefield was only partly cleared and the return cross from Nic Ciardini found Baffins defenders unable to clear.

Jack Ball fired home the loose ball from close range.

The home side finished strongly and on 74 minutes, Seibou found space just outside the Row area and his effort was just too high.

Four minutes later, Sibou made good progress down the right and his accurate cross was headed against the post by Harry Wedlake.

On 87 minutes a good run down the left wing by substitute Joe McLean saw an accurate cross and Blu Boam found his effort saved by a well positioned Adam Desbois.

A minute later, there was a heavy collision when Debois came bravely through a crowd of players to punch clear a high ball and collided with Wedlake.

Both players remained down for some time before Desbois recovered. The unfortunate Harry Wedlake had to be helped from the field.

In stoppage time the Row added a fourth.

Nic Ciardini and Jayden Englefield combined well down the left and as Englfield entered the penalty area he was hauled down. Mike Campbell stepped up and scored with his second penalty of the afternoon giving a very flattering scoreline. Baffins Milton Rovers are a relatively new club and have an impressive set up. it is likely they will be a force within Hampshire football in the not too distant future.

Joint manager Dan Turkington said: “Not our greatest performance to be honest. A lot of credit must go to Baffins who certainly created a number of problems for us and played well.

“I felt 4-1 was flattering to us but we did dominate from the period they scored right up till we scored our third goal.

He added: “Baffins to their credit kept going until the end; playing some good football on a good pitch.

“We are of course pleased to be in the next round. It was not pretty at times, but we won through.

“We now look forward to Monday and our home local derby with Farnborough.