SLOUGH Town came out on top in a match between two of last season’s Southern League play-off winners with a 2-0 win over Hartley Wintney.

The Rebels who play a league higher than Hartley showed slightly more finesse in their play and deservedly won with two unopposed first half goals.

The Row started the brighter and on five minutes a shot from distance by Jack French saw Slough goalkeeper Jack Turner well positioned to save.

Hartley could have taken the lead two minutes later, when an accurate cross from the right by Nic Ciardini found the a trialist number seven at the back post and the resulting effort went just over.

After 33 minutes a fluent move from the Rebels down the right saw the ball switched over to George Wells who saw his effort from distance go wide.

The visitor’s attacks were becoming more incisive and on 35 minutes they took the lead. Ben Harris found space on the right side of the area and cut inside to fire low into the net from 18 yards.

The Row responded well and on 39 minutes the trialist number seven set up Nic Ciardini inside the area.

The Row skipper saw his shot well saved by Turner.

Two minutes later, Turner put a bit more shine on his halo. Having done well to hold a difficult cross under pressure he launched an enormous quick kick out which travelled 80 yards.

With Hartley threadbare in defence Harris came in from the left only to be hauled down inside the penalty area.

Manny Williams took the spot kick which was almost saved by Adam Desbois in the Row Hartley held a slight edge at the start of the second period and the trialist number seven linked up with the trialist number nine who in turn fed Nic Ciardini.

The ball was moved on to Jack French who saw his effort from 20 yards go just over the bar. Two minutes later a good move down the right gave Ciardini a chance inside the box but his parting effort went just past the post.

Slough seemed content to hold their lead which they did comfortably.

However, they almost added to the score. On 70 minutes Perry Coles got free and faced a one on one with 17-year-old goalkeeper Adam Desbois.

The keeper came out top first blocking the shot and then pouncing on the loose ball.

The young keeper did even better on 87 minutes when a right wing cross found the head of Chris Flood.

The prolific striker saw his header from point blank range brilliantly saved.

For Hartley there were many positives especially the play of their midfield.

The defence looked sound against very capable and experienced Slough attack.

Particular mention must go to teenager Adam Desbois in goal who looked assured throughout and pulled off a few good saves.

After the game, Anthony Millerick said: “We knew Slough had plenty of forward talent so we put a focus on our defending today which I thought we did well.

“Our attacking options were limited with Jake Baxter getting married today.

“We aimed to be as competitive as we could be within the confines of a friendly fixture.

He added: “Over the match there were very few chances and I felt we had some positives playing against a good Slough team.”

* I felt young Adam Desbois in goal had a very good game.”

Hartley wrap up their pre-season on Saturday at home to Kingstonian.