CHINEHAM RFC ended their Hampshire Two campaign in dramatic and thrilling style with a 31-24 victory over Southampton, writes JACK WEBSTER.

Before the game a minutes silence was held in memory of Sarah Louise, an avid supporter of Chineham Rugby Club who tragically lost her life.

A clearly emotional Chineham started the game in a frenzy. With a few dropped passes in attack and pure ferocity in defence.

Number 8 John Lingham leading the charge in defence with several bone crunching tackles, allowing his back row partner and captain Tom Scoble to compete for the ball on the floor.

A missed kick to touch in the fifth minute by Southampton was collected by Dan Oliver, this was then fed to Dougie Ireland who's wide pass sent Keegan Wicks clear down the opposite wing.

The covering tackles were good enough to stop Wicks but some slick hands from the Chineham backs send full back Jack Soper free to score out wide. Ireland missed the conversion. 5-0.

Chineham then threatened to fall into old habits with a period of 10 minutes in which Southampton scored two tries from driving mauls, kicking one conversion to lead 12-5.

Following this 10 minute display from Chineham you would be forgiven if you thought that the players had then swapped their jerseys with an entirely different 15.

As what followed was without doubt the best ten minutes Chineham have put together in over 24 months.

Three tries in quick succession sealed the bonus point before half time. The first from Ireland running in unopposed out wide, which he converted.

The second was a try born from pure determination. Will Rouse made contact with his opposite number 10m from the try line, however like a rampaging bull he would not be stopped and carried four Southampton players over the line with him. Ireland converted to make it 19-12.

The third, and the pick of the tries of the afternoon came from a Scrum on halfway, Ireland chose to go blind hitting Matt Lingham who fed the ball out to eventual man of the match winner Soper.

Who showed serious pace in burning his opposite winger before feeding the ball back inside to Matt Lingham to score. The conversion was missed, but Chineham still led 24-12 at half-time.

The Second half was a much more cagey affair with Southampton first to score with a converted try. 24-19.

This was then followed by a piece of pure opportunism by Scoble who collected a ball that had came out of the Southampton Scrum unnoticed and charged 40m down the pitch before feeding John 'Try Machine' Lingham to score a much needed settling try. Ireland added the extras to make it 31-19.

A final scrappy 20 minutes then took place with both sides breaking the defensive line but were unable to capitalise on any opportunity.

With final play called. Chineham found themselves with a scrum 5m from the Southampton line.

The ball was won and slick hands from fly half Adam Lincoln released the backs.

However, with the try line begging the ball was dropped and a then desperate Southampton were able to salvage a losing bonus point and a try scoring bonus point with an unconverted try down the other end as it finished 31-24.

Overall a very impressive performance from head coach Tony Burns' men, who put on a display that was fitting of the occasion.