IT COULD not have been a closer match, with Republic of Chineham and Soldiers Return hitting the bar in a goalless first half of their North Hants Senior Cup quarter-final match on Sunday.

Soldiers broke the deadlock on 55 minutes when Ellis Hauman netted from 15 yards.

Republic of Chineham struck back through Alex Pickering to finish 1-1 and settle the tie on penalties.

Republic had one penalty saved and missed one, while Soldiers Return scored all four penalties, so go through to the next round 2-4.

Team FC entertained Knowles Park Rangers in the North Hants Chris Price Cup quarter-final, although it was the visitors who started off the brighter team, popping the ball around easily for the first 10 minutes to find the net with a finely crafted team goal to make it 1-0.

Team slowly started to find their feet with Connor McKenzie starting and finishing a fine move down the left, playing a one-two with James Tennant and calmly slotting the ball beyond the keeper to level up.

The game swayed Team FC’s way, dominating midfield with Tennant’s hold up play making the difference.

The home back four were rock-solid with Luke Burton having a stand out game.

Tennant received the ball into feet in the area and skilfully turned his man before being brought down.

He converted the penalty for the hosts to take a deserved lead 2-1.

Within two minutes, Tennant stole the ball from the centre-back and coolly lobbed the goalkeeper for his second from just outside the area, Team FC 3-1 up at the interval.

Late in the second half, after consecutive fine saves from the KPR goalkeeper, Mitch Taylor jumped on a loose ball to scramble home goal number four and his seventh of the season. Team FC win 4-1, while coming from behind.

In the Andover Presidents Cup Eastrop Eagles went down 9-0 to a very strong Tidworth Town side.

Bramley United visited Nether Wallop on their high, windy and bobbly pitch in the other Andover Presidents Cup tie, and the hosts had the wind in their favour to start with in an otherwise even game, the hosts 1-0 up at the break.

With Bramley having the wind in their favour, after 55 minutes Neil Armstrong levelled from a through ball by Matt Heslin.

Then Adam Bartlett flicked on to Stuart Leddy to take the lead, before Nick Harris finished the tie 1-3 with a curling left footer.

The Bernard Cornish Cup semi-final between Basingstoke Saints and Chineham Athletic started at a high pace but with few chances until Simon Harrison scored after 25 minutes to make it 1-0 at half-time.

However, Saints took a 2-1 lead in first 15 minutes through Liam James and a Liam Stokes’ volley.

Saints took control of the game, a corner headed on by Ryan Webb was finished with an Adam Butler volley 3-1. Too late to make a difference to the result, a header by Athletic’s substitute made the final score 3-2.

The only Division 1 match, saw Chineham lose to Hampshire Irons 1-0. Iron’s goalkeeper Jack Rickard made two good saves. In the second half skipper Jack Miller was pushed up from centre half and on 85 minutes scored the winner.

North Warnborough Reserves suffered their first Division Two losing 7-3 to Camrose Social. Matthew Forman (3), Chris Waller (2), Craig Atkinson and Jamarl Rose scored for Social.

UWS maintained their unbeaten league run with a 2-2 draw at home against Chineham Reserves. George Hallahan and Clayton Deakin scored for the visitors This Sunday fixtures are Kelvin Cup quarter-final: Bramley Utd v Mucky Duck.

Andover Presidents Cup rd 2: Soldiers Return v Chineham.

Division 1: Rep of Chineham v Hampshire Irons.

Division 2: Camrose Social v Basingstoke Saints, Chineham Ath v Shallow End, North Warnborough Res v Chineham Res, Overton Utd v UWS.