HARTLEY Wintney cemented their place in the play off zone with a comprehensive 7-1 win over an out of sorts Egham Town team. The Row started at high tempo and in two minutes could have gone ahead.

A long ball forward was chased by Jake Baxter.

The Sarnies goalkeeper Patrick Ohman slipped as he came out and the ball went behind him. Baxter’s effort from a difficult angle went along the goal line and out. Hartley debutant Ty Smith tried his luck from the edge of the box on four minutes, but Ohman brought out a good stop.

The Row continued to knock at the door and on eight minutes a long throw found the head of Jack Ball which went to Paul Hodges who set up Dean Stow who fired over.

The pressure finally told a minute later when a long throw from Adam Everiss, saw a Liam Eagle header saved by Ohman only for Jake Baxter to fire home at close range. On 13 minutes Steven Duff was unlucky to see a shot hit a defender and go wide after a scramble in the goalmouth.

From the resultant corner Liam Eagle rose highest and scored the Row’s second goal.

Two minutes later, Hartley added a third. Steven Duff made good progress down the left and his well struck cross come shot sailed into the net at the back post.

Three minutes later it was almost four as Dean Stow set up Josh Webb who saw his 20 yard shot parried by Ohman.

A minute later Egham had their first effort on goal and reduced the arrears.

Good interplay allowed Jordan Fredericks to get in behind the Row defence and his shot was saved by the feet of Freddie Gee only to see Bredan Mathew following up to score.

On 23 minutes a free-kick from Josh Webb found Jack Ball who saw his effort saved by Ohman. The Sarnies responded and on 26 minutes a corner on the right from Joel Jacobs was headed over at close range by Rhys Paul. The visitors had a bright spell but were unable to test Gee despite some good approach work usually involving Bredan Matthew.

On 33 minutes, the Row restored a three goal advantage. Steven Duff tried his luck from 25 yards and his low shot deceived Ohman and finished up in the net.

On the stroke of half tome A Josh Webb shot saw Ohman parry to the right. Jake Baxter cleverly set up Paul Hodges who was unlucky to see his shot blocked.

Hartley should have increased the lead on 49 minutes when good interplay between Stow and Hodges gave Jake Baxter a chance.

However the strikers attempted acrobatic kick when well placed did not come off. However the fifth goal was delayed by just two minutes when good play down the right by James King and Paul Hodges saw the ball eventually arrive at Jake Baxter who scored with a fine shot from 18 yards.

On 65 minutes the Row struck again when a clever pass from Jake Baxter set Paul Hodges in at close range.

The striker’s effort hit the post but Adam Everiss following up scored from close range.

Egham rallied and had a good spell. On 68 minutes Mathew set up Fredericks who saw his effort well saved by Gee. Then on 75 minutes Fredericks had an effort which looked goal bound and was unlucky to see it hit Mathew and go wide.

At the other end Paul Hodges had an effort which Ohman saved comfortably.

The Sarnies resumed on the offensive and Mathew set up Lauric Diakiesse who brought out a good save from Gee. Five minutes from time Josh Baines created a chance for himself and his effort saw Freddie Gee well positioned to save.

In added time Hartley added a seventh goal. Josh Webb found Marc Vockins on the right.

A very measured cross found the head of Paul Hodges and his effort found the corner of the net.

Following the previous weeks refereeing issue’s a word of praise must go to referee Tristan Greaves and his assistants Charlie Bullock and Ross Murphy who all did so well you hardly knew they were there.

It is refreshing to see officials like this who allow the game to flow and gain the respect of the players. This ensures that there is minimal chance of them becoming the centre of attention. .

Joint manager Anthony Millerick said: “Louie Paget was in the team but pulled up in the warm ups after a knock last Tuesday evening. We did not want to risk further injury.

“We know Egham are in transition at the moment with a new manager taking over. However, it was still a resounding win and we played well.

“I felt we got slightly complacent after going 3-0 up so early on. However we soon regained our focus.

“I thought our new players James King and Ty Smith had good solid games. All three subs played well and Mark Vockins cross for the last goal was quality.

He added: “Josh Webb and Jake Baxter are in fine form at the moment and played well.

* Another good day for the club and the squad blends well.”

Hartley are next in action with rare Sunday lunchtime outing away at AFC Dunstable which kicks-off at 1pm and then a week Tuesday they are away at Fleet Town.